In this guide, we will show you the steps to flash the custom kernel on your Nothing Phone 2. The second iteration in the Nothing lineup does behold quite an impressive list of features on paper. And for generic users, this should be more than enough. However, for power-hungry users like us, it might not be able to checkmark all our requirements. More so when we are using an open source OS like Android, why not exploit and extract maximum potential out of it.
Well, this is where the role of custom kernels comes into the picture. In this regard, one of the most reputed XDA developers arter97 has just ported a custom kernel for our beloved Nothing Phone 2. As a result of this, you could welcome abode a slew of intriguing tweaks, including the likes of Power optimizations, Memory management optimizations, I/O schedules, Optimized ZRAM, and a plethora of other goodies. So without any further ado, let’s get started with the installation steps.
How to Flash Custom Kernel on Nothing Phone 2
Before starting with the below process, please take a backup of the stock boot.img file from the stock firmware that is currently installed on your device [you could verify the same from Build Number]. In case something goes wrong while or after flashing the custom kernel, you just need to flash the stock kernel, and your device will be up and running. Apart from that, it’s also recommended to take a data backup, just to be on the safer side.
Droidwin and its members wouldn’t be held responsible in case of a thermonuclear war, your alarm doesn’t wake you up, or if anything happens to your device and data by performing the below steps.
STEP 1: Install Android SDK
First and foremost, you will have to install the Android SDK Platform Tools on your PC. This is the official ADB and Fastboot binary provided by Google and is the only recommended one. So download it and then extract it to any convenient location on your PC. Doing so will give you the platform-tools folder, which will be used throughout this guide.
STEP 2: Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking
Next up, you will also have to enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking on your device. The former will make your device recognizable by the PC in ADB mode. This will then allow you to boot your device to Fastboot Mode. On the other hand, OEM Unlocking is required to carry out the bootloader unlocking.
So head over to Settings > About Phone > Tap on Build Number 7 times > Go back to Settings > System > Advanced > Developer Options > Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking.
STEP 3: Unlock Bootloader on Nothing Phone 2
Next up, you will also have to unlock the device’s bootloader. Do keep in mind that doing so will wipe off all the data from your device and could nullify its warranty as well. So if that’s all well and good, then please refer to our detailed guide on How to Unlock Bootloader on Nothing Phone 2.
STEP 4: Download Custom Kernel for Nothing Phone 2
- You can now grab hold of the custom kernel for your device from below
arter97 kernel: DOWNLOAD LINK
- Once downloaded, rename the file to kernel.img and transfer it to the platform-tools folder.
STEP 5: Root Nothing Phone 2
Next up, you’ll also have to root your device via Magisk. For that. you could refer to our guide on How to Root Nothing Phone 2 via Magisk. Do note the developer has also provided a KrnelSU file for root, however, as of now, it is leading to quite a few issues. So let’s stick with the traditional Magisk root method and then we will flash his Non-SU Kernel.
STEP 6: Boot to Fastboot Mode
- Now connect your device to the PC via a USB cable. Make sure USB Debugging is enabled.
- Then head over to the platform-tools folder, type in CMD in the address bar, and hit Enter. This will launch the Command Prompt.
- Type in the following command in the CMD window to boot your device to Fastboot Mode
adb reboot bootloader
- To verify the Fastboot connection, type in the below command and you should get back the device ID.
- If you don’t get any serial ID, then install Fastboot Drivers on your PC.
STEP 7: Flash Custom Kernel on Nothing Phone 2
- Type in the below command to flash the custom kernel onto your device:
fastboot flash boot kernel.img
- Now type in the below command to boot your device to the OS:
That’s it. These were the steps to install the custom kernel on your Nothing Phone 2. If you have any queries concerning the aforementioned steps, do let us know in the comments. We will get back to you with a solution at the earliest.
- How to Install Custom ROMs on Nothing Phone 2
- How to Install TWRP Recovery on Nothing Phone 2
- Nothing Phone 2 Refresh Rate might be on 120Hz even on AOD
- How to Unbrick Nothing Phone 2 via EDL Firmware and Flash Tool