In this guide, we will show you the steps to fix the issue of SSH not working in macOS Ventura. Secure Shell is an encrypted/cryptographic network protocol that enables two computers to communicate and share data over the servers. Since the communication is encrypted, it is the preferred mode, especially on insecure networks. When it comes to Apple’s underlying OS, it already features a built-in SSH client [Terminal].
It is based on a client-server architecture and allows you to connect an SSH client instance with an SSH server. However, as of late, it is giving out a tough time to the users on the latest macOS. According to the affected users, SSH is not working in macOS Ventura. As a result, they are unable to log in to their Mac running Ventura from devices with deprecated keys. Apart from that, some are also getting the “no matching host key type found” error. So why is this happening?
One reason could be the fact that Ventura comes with OpenSSH_9.0p1 and “This release disables RSA signatures using the SHA-1 hash algorithm by default”. So how to fix this issue? Well, advanced users could opt for the technical route of generating keys based on a more secure hash algorithm. On the other hand, beginners could make use of the nifty workaround that we shared below. Follow along.
Fix SSH not working in macOS Ventura
Droidwin and its members wouldn’t be held responsible in case of a thermonuclear war, your alarm doesn’t wake you up, or if anything happens to your PC by performing the below steps.
- Launch Finder and use the Shift+Command+G shortcut keys to bring up the Go to Folder dialog box.
- Then type in the below location and hit Enter [or you could manually go there via Macintosh HD > etc > ssh]
- Now copy the ssh_config file and paste it somewhere else [it will act as a backup].
- Then launch the original ssh_config file and add the following two lines at the end of the file:
HostkeyAlgorithms +ssh-rsa PubkeyAcceptedAlgorithms +ssh-rsa
- Once done, hit the Command+S shortcut keys to save the changes.
That’s it. These were the steps to fix the issue of SSH not working in macOS Ventura. If you have any queries concerning the aforementioned steps, do let us know in the comments. We will get back to you with a solution at the earliest.
- WiFi not working on macOS Ventura: How to Fix
- macOS Ventura Long Boot-Up Time: How to Fix
- How to Fix Specific Refresh Rate for External Display in Mac
- Mac shutdown when trying to log in: How to Fix