In this guide, we will show you a nifty workaround to fix the issue of being unable to open apps from the Google Search bar present on your Android device. Every Pixel device comes with a search bar present at the bottom of their home screen [though it could also be added by users on other devices courtesy of a widget]. Apart from the ability to search online queries and preinstalled apps, it even has a built-in Lens and Microphone.
However, one of these features is currently giving a tough time to the users. Many have voiced their concern that they could no longer open apps from the Google Search bar present on their device. While they could easily search for the app, but upon tapping on that result, it will either invoke no response or give them a loading circle. If you are also getting bugged by any of these issues, then this guide will help you out. Follow along for the fix.
Fix Cannot Open Apps from Google Search Bar on Android
The culprit behind this issue is the latest update rolled out by Google. So to rectify it, you’ll have to downgrade the Google App to its earlier working state. Here’s how it could be done:
- Head over to Settings > Apps > See All Apps > Google Chrome.
- Then tap on the overflow icon and select Uninstall Updates > OK.
- After that, scroll to the end of the page and tap on App Details.
- You will now be taken to Chrome’s Play Store page.
- Tap on the overflow icon situated and uncheck Enable Auto-Update.
- Now check if it rectifies the underlying issue.
That’s it. This should fix the issue of being unable to open apps from the Google Search bar present on your Android device. As far as the official stance on this matter is concerned, the developers are yet to acknowledge this issue, let alone give out any ETA for the rollout of a fix. As and when any of these two things happen, we will update this guide accordingly. In the meantime, the aforementioned workarounds are your best bet.
- Cannot use Google Apps on Huawei via LightHouse [Fixed]
- How to Disable Google App Weather Notification
- Recent Pages Missing from Google App: How to Fix
- Google Apps not working on Mobile Data [Fixed]