In this guide, we will show you various methods to fix the issue of being unable to receive text messages on the Google Pixel 5A. With a clean stock Android experience and guaranteed three years of OS upgrade, there’s no guessing why the Pixel lineup has become the go-to choice for a lot of users. If you are tight on your budget, then you could opt for its A series of devices as well.
These are a slightly trimmed-down version of their counterpart but still offer the same Pixel experience. In this regard, the 5A is the latest entry in this list. With Snapdragon 765G chipset and Android 11 out of the box, there’s a lot to look forward to. However, it’s not going all well for this device. There have been complaints from various users that they are unable to receive SMS on their devices.
Calls are working fine, and they are able to send messages as well, the issue is just with the receiving of SMS. Furthermore, most of the complaints are from Verizon users themselves. So it doesn’t seem to be a device issue (as was earlier thought) but seems to be related to this carrier. And that is indeed the case! So let’s first check out the reason behind this inability to receive SMS on Pixel 5A after which we will show you the steps to fix this issue as well. Follow along.
Why I Am Unable to Receive SMS on Pixel 5A?
As you might be aware, this is a 5G device and this is where the problem really begins. A Google Gold Product Expert who works for Verizon has explained that Pixel 5A is the first Pixel device that doesn’t use the CDMA service at all. Hence for Verizon, the line needs to be configured as a CDMAless device. Once that is line is updated and instructed not to use the CDMA network system, everything should fall back in place.
While this does make sense, however, there’s one query still in my mind: how are we able to then effectively make and receive calls and send SMS, and why is the issue only with receiving SMS? I will update this section once I get to know more about it, in the meantime, let’s make you acquainted with the methods to fix the issue of being unable to receive text messages on the Google Pixel 5A.
How to Fix Cannot Receive Text Messages on Pixel 5A
There are two different fixes for this issue, both of which have been explained below. Follow along.
Fix 1: Activate a 5G SIM from Verizon
According to a Google Product Expert, the Pixel team has suggested that users experiencing this issue should reach out to Verizon to get a new SIM and ensure the CDMA-less feature is provisioned on their account. Many users did the same and have confirmed that Verizon activated a new sim card designed for 5G, and they are able to use it now on their Pixel 5a without any issues. Moreover, the entire process took hardly 10 minutes.
While this approach comes with a high degree of success, some of the users are not able to visit the Verizon Service Center due to the current restrictive measures in their locality. If you are among them, then fret not. There exist another method through which you could fix the issue of being unable to receive text messages on the Google Pixel 5A, right from the comfort of your home!
Fix 2: Activate Pixel 5A via Verizon Wireless account
Some users were also able to rectify this issue after activating their Pixel 5A via the Verizon Wireless account. They logged into their Verizon Wireless account, and then went to Account > Devices > Activate Or Switch Account. After that, they selected Activate An Existing Line option.
Doing so will show your Pixel 5A listed there, just select your device and hit Activate. That’s it, this should fix the SMS issue. Here’s a detailed step by step explanation of the same, courtesy of Reddit user HiBRiD109:
- Keep the SIM card in your old phone, power it down, remove the SIM card. If you already put in the 5a and powered it up. Power it down and put it back into your old phone and power it up so Verizon sees the SIM in the old phone (5mins to be safe). Then power it down and remove it.
- Go to Verizon and log in. Go to Account>My Devices> Activate or Switch Device.
- Select your line that you are putting the 5a on.
- Enter the IMEI number.
- Have Authorization code sent to another line. Not sure how this works if you only have one line. Sorry. Maybe keep Old phone powered up with SIM.
- Enter Authorization code. Tell them no if you didn’t receive a new 5G SIM card.
- Accept plan changes. I didn’t have any changes in plan or cost.
- Should be set. Put SIM card into 5a and power on.
- Took about 5 mins but I started to received text messages.
So with this, we round off the guide on how you could fix the issue of being unable to receive text messages on the Google Pixel 5A. We have shared two different methods for the same. Do let us know in the comments section which one spelled out success for you.
- How to Downgrade Pixel From Android 12 to Android 11 using Android Flash Tool
- How to Unlock Bootloader on Google Pixel 5a (barbet)
- Unbrick Guide: How to Flash Pixel 5A Firmware via Fastboot Commands
- How to Root Google Pixel 5A via Magisk Patched Boot.img