In this guide, we will show you the steps to download and install the Android 12 Developer Preview 2 on OnePlus 9 and OnePlus 9 Pro. The second build of the latest Android iteration has been released for the OnePlus flagships. It brings in with itself a plethora of new and intriguing features. Be it the system, performance, camera, or gaming, or the gaming domain, each of them has either been blessed with a few new features and has undergone some minor improvements as well.
However, since it is a Developer Preview build, bugs and issues are along the expected lines, and there are quite a few ones this time around as well. There are a few issues with gestures, scrolling screenshots, camera, Google Phone app, and its Cloud Services. So before you proceed ahead to download and install the Android 12 Developer Preview 2 on OnePlus 9 and OnePlus 9 Pro, please make yourself aware of the features and bugs present in this build. Follow along.
Table of Contents
What’s New in Android 12 Developer Preview 2 for OnePlus 9/Pro
- Optimized the auto-brightness algorithm to adapt screen brightness to more scenes for a comfortable screen reading experience
- Optimized the mistouch prevention algorithm for curved screens to reduce accidental touches
- New design
- Added widgets that show key information of apps and provide instant access to functions
- Optimized the page layout and the presentation of text and color to make key information stand out
- Convenience & efficiency
- Added swiftly switch floated windows, make operation more convenient
- Optimized the frame rate performance under heavy-used scenes
- Added the feature that supported customize the display order of camera mode
- Optimized the zoom experience, make it zoom more smoothly
- Added the form of chart to display battery usage
- Newly supported pre-loading the apps that frequently used, to switch them on quickly
- Improved the response speed of turning on or off Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Airplane mode, and NFC
Click on the desired image to further expanded them.
Bugs in Android 12 Developer Preview 2 for OnePlus 9/Pro
- The Camera does not support Xpan, and contains some stability issues
- This version does not support scrolling screenshot
- The icon of Bluetooth connection displays abnormally
- The icon of charging displays abnormally
- The Cloud Service is unavailable (India)
- The Camera app does not contain Hasselblad elements
- This version does not adapt some third-party apps
- The included Google Phone app does not feature call record functionality. This can be solved by updating the app in Play Store.
- Three-finger swipe down gesture or three-finger long-press gesture after using the screen recorder. This can be overcome by pressing Power button and Volume Down button simultaneously instead to screenshot.
Now that you have made yourself acquainted with bugs and features, let’s get started with the steps to download and install the Android 12 Developer Preview 2 on OnePlus 9 and OnePlus 9 Pro.
Download Android 12 Developer Preview 2 for OnePlus 9 and OnePlus 9 Pro
You may now grab hold of the Android 12 DP2 packages for the OnePlus flagships from the below links. Make sure to download the one that corresponds to your region only.
Do note that Carrier version devices (TMO/VZW) aren’t compatible with the Developer Preview builds and hence they haven’t been shared here. Moreover, due to stricter EU policies, OnePlus currently cannot supply an EU-specific build.
Install Android 12 Developer Preview 2 on OnePlus 9 and OnePlus 9 Pro
The below process will wipe off all the data from your device, so please take a complete device backup beforehand. Droidwin and its members wouldn’t be held responsible in case of a thermonuclear war, your alarm doesn’t wake you up, or if anything happens to your device and data by performing the below steps.
- To begin with, place the downloaded Android 12 update ZIP package to your device’s Internal Storage. Do not place it inside any folder.
- Then go to System followed by System Updates.
- Tap on the Settings gear icon situated at the top right and go to Local Upgrade.
- Now select the Android 12 Developer Preview 2 ZIP firmware that you have downloaded.
- You will get a warning that your device will undergo a factory reset, tap Confirm.
- Now, wait for the download and installation to complete. Once done, tap on the Reboot button.
- That’s it. Your device will boot up to the latest Android 12 OS. Sign in with your Google account, set it up from scratch, and enjoy all the new goodies.
FAQ: Downgrade OnePlus 9/Pro Android 12 Developer Preview 2 to Android 11
If these bugs are way too much to deal with and are conflicting with the day-to-day usage of your device, then the best bet is to downgrade your device to the earlier stable Android 11 OS. To download the said downgrade package and check out its associated flashing instructions, please refer to our guide: Downgrade OnePlus Android 12 to Android 11 [OxygenOS 12 to OxygenOS 11].
So this was all from this guide on how you could download and install the Android 12 Developer Preview 2 on OnePlus 9 and OnePlus 9 Pro. Do share your usage experiences with use in the comment section below.