In this guide, we will show you the steps to install the TWRP Recovery on your Poco F4. Android 12 onwards, it has become quite a challenging task in porting custom recovery. As a result of which, most custom ROMs come built-in with their own recovery, but they have their fair share of limitations. The most noticeable among them is the inability to take Nandroid Backup and the requirement of the PC to flash any file [because you could only do so via ADB Sideload].
Fortunately, Xiaomi is among the very few devices that still actively have the support of this recovery, which definitely makes the life of tech enthusiasts quite easy since they could now easily flash the desired ZIP without the need for the PC and more importantly could take a backup of the desired partition or even the entire Nandroid Backup. So with such a plethora of benefits involved, let’s make you aware of the steps to install the TWRP Recovery on your Poco F4 right away.
How to Install TWRP Recovery on Poco F4 [Video]
The below instructions are listed under separate sections for ease of understanding. Make sure to follow in the exact same sequence as mentioned. Droidwin and its members wouldn’t be held responsible in case of a thermonuclear war, your alarm doesn’t wake you up, or if anything happens to your device and data by performing the below steps.
NOTE: There exist two different methods to flash the TWRP Recovery onto Poco F4, as shown in STEP 7A and STEP 7B. Steps 1 to 6 are the prerequisites that are needed for both these methods. Moreover, you should never directly flash the TWRP, instead first temporarily boot your device to TWRP and then permanently install it.
STEP 1: Install Android SDK
First and foremost, you will have to install the Android SDK Platform Tools on your PC. This is the official ADB and Fastboot binary provided by Google and is the only recommended one. So download it and then extract it to any convenient location on your PC. Doing so will give you the platform-tools folder, which will be used throughout this guide to install the TWRP Recovery on Poco F4.
STEP 2: Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking
Next up, you will also have to enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking on your device. The former will make your device recognizable by the PC in ADB mode. This will then allow you to boot your device to Fastboot Mode. On the other hand, OEM Unlocking is required to carry out the bootloader unlocking process.
So head over to Settings > About Phone > Tap on Build Number 7 times > Go back to Settings > System > Advanced > Developer Options > Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking.
STEP 3: Unlock Bootloader on Poco F4
Next up, you will also have to unlock the device’s bootloader. Do keep in mind that doing so will wipe off all the data from your device and could nullify its warranty as well. So if that’s all well and good, then please refer to our detailed guide on How to Unlock Bootloader on any Xiaomi Device.
STEP 4: Download TWRP Recovery for Poco F4
- You may now grab hold of the official TWRP Recovery corresponding to your device from the below link:
TWRP for Poco F4: DOWNLOAD LINK
- Once downloaded, rename the TWRP Installer ZIP to twrp.zip and the TWRP IMG file to twrp.img
- Likewise, transfer both these TWRP files to the platform-tools folder on your PC.
STEP 5: Boot to Fastboot Mode
- Now connect your device to the PC via a USB cable. Make sure USB Debugging is enabled.
- Then head over to the platform-tools folder, type in CMD in the address bar, and hit Enter. This will launch the Command Prompt.
- Type in the following command in the CMD window to boot your device to Fastboot Mode
adb reboot bootloader
- To verify the Fastboot connection, type in the below command and you should get back the device ID.
- If you are not getting any serial ID, then please install the Fastboot Drivers on your PC.
STEP 6: Temporary Boot Poco F4 to TWRP Recovery
- Head over to the platform tools folder, type in CMD in the address bar, and hit Enter. This will launch the Command Prompt.
- Then type in the following command in the CMD window to temporarily boot your Poco F4 to TWRP Recovery:
fastboot boot twrp.img
- Your device will now boot to TWRP. Now proceed over to the next step to permanently install it.
STEP 7A: Permanently Install TWRP via Flash Current TWRP
- From TWRP, go to Advanced and tap on Flash Current TWRP.
- That’s it. TWRP is now permanently installed on your Poco F4.
STEP 7B: Permanently Install TWRP via Install Recovery Ramdisk
- To begin with, transfer the twrp.img file to your device.
- Then from TWRP, go to Advanced > Install Recovery Ramdisk.
- Now navigate to the twrp.img file and select it. It will be flashed.
- Once done, go to Advanced and select Fix Recovery Bootloop.
That’s it. These were the steps to install the TWRP Recovery onto your Poco F4. If you have any queries concerning the aforementioned steps, do let us know in the comments. We will get back to you with a solution at the earliest.
- How to Flash Xiaomi Fastboot ROM without Mi Flash Tool
- Unbrick Redmi Note 10 Pro/Pro Max via Fastboot Commands
- How to Install TWRP Recovery via Xiaomi ADB Fastboot Tools
- What is Xiaomi EU ROM | How to Flash Xiaomi EU ROM
- Force 120Hz Refresh Rate in any Android via ADB Commands