This guide will show you various methods to fix the issue of random restart on your Pixel 8 Pro. The latest offering from the Silicon Valley giant beholds a slew of intriguing features up its sleeves. Add to it, the tons of AI functionalities that it has recently been blessed with, and its numero uno position in the smartphone domain seems to have been justified. Or is that really the case? Well, one factor that might still pull it back from claiming the throne is its underlying chipset.
While it has undergone massive improvements over the course of three years, but there are still some grey areas that need to be addressed. One among which is the auto reboot bug that has plagued numerous Pixel devices in the past and has now engulfed the latest flagships as well. In this regard, numerous users have voiced their concern that their Pixel 8 Pro undergoes random restarts at its whims and fancies.
There doesn’t seem to be any specific triggering factor that could lead to this issue, it tends to happen all of a sudden. To make matters worse, these uninvited reboots occur numerous times throughout the day, thereby further infuriating the users. With that said, there does exist numerous workarounds that should help you rectify this bug. So without further ado, let’s check them out.
Table of Contents
Fix Pixel 8 Pro Random Restart
It is recommended that you try out each of the below-mentioned workarounds and then see which one spells out success for you. So with that in mind, let’s get started.
FIX 1: Boot to Safe Mode
In some instances, a third-party app or service might conflict with the proper functioning of your device. Therefore, you should consider booting your device to Safe Mode and then check out the results. If the issue gets rectified in this mode, then the culprit is indeed a third-party app that needs to be uninstalled at the earliest. Here’s how all of this could be carried out:
- Long press the Power menu to bring up the Power menu.
- Then long tap on Restart. This will bring up the Safe Mode pop-up.
- Tap OK and your device boot to Safe Mode. Check if you are facing random reboots or not.
- If there are no random restarts, then the culprit is indeed a third-party app.
- So restart your device back to normal mode and then uninstall all those apps after which the issue first came to light.
- Once done, check if it fixes the Pixel 8/Pro random restart issue.
FIX 2: Install Google Play System Update
If there’s a pending Google Play System update, then make sure to download and install it right away. Apart from ironing out underlying bugs, these updates also improve system performance and enhance the overall functioning of the OS. Therefore, refer to the below steps to download and install the updates onto your device:
- Head over to Settings > Security and Privacy > System and Updates.
- Select Google Play System Update and download the pending update.
- Now check if it fixes the random restart issue on your Pixel 8 Pro.
FIX 3: Lower the Refresh Rate
If you have set the refresh rate at the maximum level [90hz for Pixel 8 & 120hz for 8 Pro], then in rare cases, it might lead to some unforeseen device-related issues. Therefore, you should consider lowering your device’s refresh rate and then check out the results. Here’s how it could be done:
- Head over to Settings > Display and turn off Smooth Display.
- The refresh rate will now remain at 60Hz.
- Check if it fixes Pixel 8/Pro random restart.
FIX 4: Remove Screen Lock
For many users, the issue is only reproducible when they unlock their device. So for the time being, you could disable the screen locks and then check if it works out in your favor or not. Here’s how it could be done:
- Head over to Settings > Security and Privacy > Device Unlock.
- Then select your current screen lock and verify your credential.
- Select None and then check if it fixes Pixel 8/Pro random restart.
FIX 5: Disable Power Mode
If you have enabled power mode, then we will recommend you temporarily turn it off and give your device a non-restrictive environment to work in. Here’s how it could be done [if it is low on battery, then plug into the charger
- Head over to Settings > Battery > Use Battery Saver.
- Then turn off the toggle next to Use Battery Saver.
- If it is low on battery, then plug it into the charger.
- Check if it fixes Pixel 8/Pro random restart issue.
FIX 6: Install Security Patch Updates
While Google is not the fastest OEM when it comes to rectifying the bugs, but it still gets the job done by pushing a fix alongside an OTA update. So if there is an update available, then now is the perfect time to download it onto your device. Here’s how it could be done:
- Head over to Settings < System > System Update.
- The OS will now search for any pending updates.
- If there is one, then download and install it right away.
- Check if it fixes the Pixel 8/Pro random restart issue.
FIX 7: Reset Device
You might also face this issue if the device’s configuration setting or its system data gets corrupted. In such cases, your best course of action should be to reset the device back to its factory default state. So take a complete device backup from Settings > System > Backup and then refer to the below steps to reset your device:
- Head over to Settings > System > Reset Option.
- Then tap on Erase All Data > Erase All Data.
- Now, wait for the process to complete. Once done, set up your device
- Then check if it fixes the Pixel 8/Pro random restart issue.
FIX 8: Send Feedback to Google
If none of the aforementioned tweaks managed to work out in your favor, then you should consider contacting Google and then chalk out the best route forward. We aren’t still implying that it’s a hardware issue, it’s just that contacting the manufacturer will give you a clearer picture. So refer to the below steps to send the feedback to Google directly from your device:
- Head over to Settings > System > About Phone
- Then tap on Send Feedback about this device.
- Now tap on Allow one-time access in the prompt.
- Type in your concern regarding the fingerprint and hit Send.
That’s it. These were the various methods to fix the Pixel 8 Pro random restart issue. As far as the official stance on this matter is concerned, the developers are yet to acknowledge this issue, let alone give out any ETA for the rollout of a fix. As and when any of these two things happen, we will update this guide accordingly. In the meantime, the aforementioned workarounds are your best bet.