In this guide, we will show you the steps to root your Nubia Red Magic 5G device via Magisk patched boot.img file. This Chinese OEM has quite a few series of devices lined up. However, it’s fair to say that the Red Magic series is its most popular one that has managed to capture the attention of the masses. With the Snapdragon 865 chipset, Adreni 650 GPU, and up to a massive 16GB RAM, this device seems to have check-marked all the prerequisites in the gaming domain.
Along the same lines, its performance in the custom development is quite remarkable as well. In this regard, there are a plethora of mods and tweaks that you could try out onto your device. Likewise, you could also gain administrative privileges as well as access to the system partition by rooting your device. And in this guide, we will help you with just that. Given here are the detailed instructions to root your Nubia Red Magic 5G device via Magisk patched boot.img. Follow along.
Benefits and Risks of Rooting Nubia Red Magic 5G
Once you root your device by flashing the Magisk patched boot.img via Fastboot Commands, you will be in a position to try out a plethora of customizations on your device. These include the likes of flashing custom ROMs, installing a custom recovery like TWRP, or flashing a custom kernel. Along the same lines, you could also flash Magisk Modules, Xposed Framework, Substratum Themes, Viper4Android, and the likes. However, this is just one side of the story.
Carrying out this process also has its downsides. First off, the process requires an unlocked bootloader. Doing so will wipe off all the data and could nullify the device’s warranty as well. Likewise, WideVine L1 will be degraded to L3, resulting in the inability to stream Netflix in HD [FIXED]. Then the SafetyNet will be triggered, which might cause issues with banking apps [FIXED]. So if all that’s well and good, then let’s get started with the steps to root the Nubia Red Magic 5G via Magisk.
How to Root Nubia Red Magic 5G via Magisk
The below instructions are listed under separate sections for ease of understanding. Make sure to follow in the exact same sequence as mentioned. Droidwin and its members wouldn’t be held responsible in case of a thermonuclear war, your alarm doesn’t wake you up, or if anything happens to your device and data by performing the below steps.
STEP 1: Install Android SDK
First and foremost, you will have to install the Android SDK Platform Tools on your PC. This is the official ADB and Fastboot binary provided by Google and is the only recommended one. So download it and then extract it to any convenient location on your PC. Doing so will give you the platform-tools folder, which will be used throughout this guide.
STEP 2: Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking
Next up, you will also have to enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking on your device. The former will make your device recognizable by the PC in ADB mode. This will then allow you to boot your device to Fastboot Mode. On the other hand, OEM Unlocking is required to carry out the bootloader unlocking process.
So head over to Settings > About Phone > Tap on Build Number 7 times > Go back to Settings > System > Advanced > Developer Options > Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking.
STEP 3: Unlock Nubia Red Magic 5G Bootloader
Next up, you will also have to unlock the device’s bootloader. Do keep in mind that doing so will wipe off all the data from your device and could nullify its warranty as well. So if that’s all well and good, then please refer to our detailed guide on How to Unlock the Bootloader on any Nubia Device.
STEP 4: Download Stock Firmware
You will now have to download the stock firmware for your Nubia 6 device. We have listed the official download links below, make sure to download the same firmware that is currently installed on your device (you could verify the same via the Build Number). Likewise, download the ROM that corresponds to your region only.
STEP 5: Extract Nubia Payload.bin File
- Once you downloaded the firmware, it will be in a compressed ZIP format. So extract it to any convenient location on your PC.
- Doing so shall give you a couple of files, including the payload.bin file.
- You will now have to extract this payload.bin file to get the boot.img file. So refer to our guide on How to Extract payload.bin and get stock firmware image files.
- Once the extraction is complete, copy the boot.img file and transfer it to your device.
- Next up, copy the vbmeta.img file and transfer it to the platform-tools folder on your PC.
STEP 6: Patch Nubia Red Magic 5G Boot.img via Magisk
- To begin with, download and install the Magisk App onto your device.
- Then launch it, tap on the button Install next to Magisk, and choose Select and Patch a File.
- Now navigate to the boot.img file, select it, and tap on the Let’s Go button situated at the top right.
- The patching process will now begin and will take a few seconds.
- Once done, open File Explorer and go to the Downloads folder. Then copy both the patched boot.img file from there and transfer it to the platform-tools folder on your PC.
- Now simplify the name of this file so that it becomes easier to type in the CMD window. So rename the patched boot file to magisk_patched_boot.img.
STEP 7: Boot Nubia Red Magic 5G to Fastboot Mode
- Connect your device to the PC via USB cable. Make sure USB Debugging is enabled.
- Then head over to the platform-tools folder, type in CMD in the address bar, and hit Enter. This will launch the Command Prompt.
- Type in the following command in the CMD window to boot your device to Fastboot Mode
adb reboot bootloader
- To verify the Fastboot connection, type in the below command and you should get back the device ID.
STEP 8: Flash Magisk Patched Boot.img and Root Nubia Red Magic 5G
First off, verify that you have transferred the vbmeta.img and magisk_patched_boot.img files to the platform-tools folder. If that’s well and good, then you may start with the flashing of files.
- To begin with, execute the below command to flash the Magisk patched Boot.img:
fastboot flash boot magisk_patched_boot.img
- Next up, use the below command to flash vbmeta and hence disable the verification:
fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
- After that, you will have to reboot your device to recovery and perform a reset. So use the below command to boot your Nubia 6 to the Recovery Mode from the current Fastboot Mode:
fastboot reboot recovery
- Now use the Volume keys to select the Factory Reset/Wipe option and press the Power key to confirm it.
- Once that is done, you may now reboot your device to the OS from the Recovery Mode. Or boot to the Fastboot Mode, and then use the below command to boot to the OS:
That’s it. These were the steps to root the Nubia Red Magic 5G via Magisk patched boot.img file. If you have any queries concerning the aforementioned steps, do let us know in the comments section. We will get back to you with a solution at the earliest.
- How To Enable Two Button Navigation in Android 12
- How to Change Icon Shapes in Android 12?
- Can we change the Lock Screen Clock Size in Android 12
- How to Pass SafetyNet on Rooted Android 12