In this guide, we will show you the steps to disable the New Tab UI for Tablet Mode in Chrome OS 93. This Linux-based OS, derived from the Chromium source code, comes with a plethora of goodies. And as expected, everything revolves around the offerings from the Search Engine giants. Well, even its primary user interface is based on the Chrome web browser.
While it’s present only in Chromebooks, but such has been its popularity in recent years, that people have started using this on their Windows PC as well (via Dual Boot/Live USB, etc). All in all, if you are looking to be a part of this ecosystem, then getting acquainted with the Chrome OS is definitely a big step forward.
To make sure that everything working along the expected lines, Google also releases regular updates for this OS. While most of them are aimed at improving stability and enhancing security, some also introduced new features to the core OS. While that’s well and good, what isn’t is when these features are forced onto the userbase.
And this is what has happened recently. With the Chrome OS getting updated to 93, Google removed the user-friendly ‘My Tab Row’ and in its place have bought a new tab UI in the tablet mode. This change has only been implanted in the tablet mode, i.e. when the touch input mode is enabled. As soon as you attach a keyword, the browser will revert to the original setting.
But even then, users aren’t in sync with this change even being implemented in the tablet mode and want the default setting back. If you also echo this thought, then this guide is here to help you out. Without any further ado, let’s check out the steps to disable the New Tab UI for Tablet Mode in Chrome OS 93.
How to Disable New Tab UI for Tablet Mode in Chrome OS 93
If you are wondering what’s the issue with this new user interface, then the biggest reason is its non-user-friendly approach. A Reddit user seems to have well documented all the drawbacks that this approach brings in with itself:
So if you are also on the same page and wish to disable the New Tab UI for Tablet Mode in Chrome OS 93, then all you need to do is disable one of Chrome’s experimental feature flags. Follow along for the instructions:
- To begin with, open the Chrome browser, copy-paste the below location in its address bar, and hit Enter.
- Then go to the search bar and type in the following flag’s name:
WebUI Tab Strip
- Now change its state to Disabled from the drop-down menu.
- Finally, hit the Relaunch button that appears at the bottom.
- Once the browser restarts, it should revert to the old tab user interface.
That’s it. These were the steps to disable the New Tab UI for Tablet Mode in Chrome OS 93. Do note that these flags are temporary in nature and might be removed by Google in the next update. So let’s make hay while the sun shines!
- How to Bring Back the Open in New Tab option in Chrome Android
- Disable Tab Groups in Chrome Android- Bring back old Chrome Tab Layout
- Fix: Google Chrome Profile Erased all Saved Bookmarks
- How to Fix Disappearing Google Chrome Website Shortcuts on Android