In this guide, we will show you the steps to fix the Google Phone app error that states that “Call recording will be suspended if your phone runs out of storage”. The Phone App from the Silicon Valley giants is the default dialer app across various Android devices. While initially, it was only available across Pixel and Android One devices, it has since expanded its domain across many OEMs.
Its handy Screen Call feature, the option to reject calls directly via message, and the ability to carry out call recording are just some of its noteworthy features. However, as of late, not many users are able to make full use of this app due to the app’s inability to record calls.
A slew of complaints are lined up across Google Support Forum that users are getting the “Call recording will be suspended if your phone runs out of storage” message in the Google Phone app. If you are also getting bugged with this issue, then fret not. In this guide, we will be listing some handy workarounds that shall help you fix this error once and for all. So without any further ado, let’s get started.
Fix Google Phone: Call recording will be suspended if your phone runs out of storage
As far as the official fix goes, a Google Silver Product Expert recommends freeing up storage space (like seriously!). However, all the users who are facing this issue have re-verified that there is enough storage space left on their devices for these recordings to be saved.
Hence the lack of space is not the reason for this issue. So keeping that aside, here are some of the other workarounds that might help you fix the “Call recording will be suspended” error in the Google Phone app. Follow along.
FIX 1: Uninstall Google Phone App Updates
This issue has come to the light only in the past couple of weeks. So it could be the case of a buggy update being rolled out which gave birth to this problem. To rectify it, you should consider uninstalling these updates from the Phone app.
Likewise, you should also disable auto-updates from Play Store otherwise the latter will again update the Phone app to the latest build, thereby nullifying our fix. So proceed ahead with the below instructions to carry out both these tasks.
- To begin with, launch Play Store and tap on your profile situated at the top right.
- Then select Settings and expand the Network Preferences section.
- After that, go to Auto-update apps, select Don’t auto-update apps, and hit Done to save the changes.
- Once done, go to Settings > Apps and Notifications and select the Phone app.
- Now tap on the overflow icon situated at the top right and select Uninstall Updates.
- Finally, tap OK in the confirmation dialog box.
Once done, launch the app and then check if the “Call recording will be suspended if your phone runs out of storage” error in the Google Phone app has been fixed or not.
FIX 2: Re-Enable Google Phone App
You should consider disabling and then re-enabling the Phone app. Doing so shall give it a fresh instance to work upon which might, in turn, fix the underlying issue as well.
- Head over to Settings > Apps & Notifications and select the Phone app from the list.
- Now go to the Phone App section and assign any other app as the default dialer for the time being.
- Most OEMs have their own phone app, so you could select that one. But if there’s no secondary phone app, then you might have to download a Dialer app from the Play Store. But do not open that app nor give it any permission either. Just make it the default dialer app.
- After that, go back to a screen and hit the Disable button. Then tap on Disable App in the confirmation dialog box. Once done, wait for a few seconds and then re-enable it.
Now launch it and then verify if fixes the “Call recording will be suspended if your phone runs out of storage” error in the Google Phone app. If it is still there, then make the Phone app your default dialer and uninstall any third-party phone app that you had installed for this fix. After that, you may move over to our next fix given below.
FIX 3: Delete Google Phone Data
If the stored app data gets corrupted or outdated, then it could lead to a few issues. Therefore, you should consider deleting the app’s data so that it recreates a fresh one from scratch. Here’s how it could be done:
- To begin with, head over to the Settings menu on your device.
- Then go to Apps and select the Phone app from the list.
- Now go to its Storage and Cache section and tap on Clear Storage
- Finally, click OK in the confirmation dialog box that.
Once done, launch the Phone app and wait for a few seconds for the data to be re-populated. Now check if the “Call recording will be suspended if your phone runs out of storage” error in the Google Phone app has been fixed or not.
FIX 4: Downgrade to an Earlier Build
As already discussed before, this change seems to be introduced in the last month or so. Hence, the problem might be linked with the current build of the Phone app. So you should consider downgrading the app to an earlier version by sideloading its APK file (sideloading is needed because the Play Store doesn’t hold any older build of an app). So with that in mind, let’s get started.
- To begin with, you will have to disable the auto-update of the Play Store otherwise it will cancel out the downgrade process and update the app to the latest version. So go to Play Store > Settings > Network Preferences > Auto-update apps > Don’t auto-update apps.
- Once done, head over to any trusted website of your choice and download an older version of the Phone app. If you prefer to use the APKMirror, then here’s the Phone by Google 68.0.392726590 app (release- August 2021) download link from that site.
- Once the app has been downloaded, enable Unknown Sources (if it asks for) and then install it onto your device. Now launch the app and check if the “Call recording will be suspended” error in the Google Phone app has been fixed or not.
So with this, we conclude the guide on how you could fix the “Call recording will be suspended if your phone runs out of storage” error in the Google Phone app. We have listed four different fixes for the same. As of now, the only response from Google’s side is to free up storage space on your device, which didn’t work out for anyone.
With that said, the issue definitely seems to be server-side and the aforementioned workarounds may or may not spell out success for you. But still, they are the best course of action as of now and thereby deserve worth a try. Rounding off, we will keep on updating this guide with more workarounds as and when we get hold of the same.
- How to Get OnePlus Dialer with automatic call recorder on Nord
- How to Enable Call Recorder on any OnePlus Device
- Fix: Unable to Make Calls after Updating Google App
- How to Enable Google Call Screening on any Android Phone
1 thought on “Fix Google Phone: Call recording will be suspended if your phone runs out of storage”
Calls are not being recorded on my phone device and are not being saved to the record file