In this guide, we will show you the steps to install the latest Android 13 onto your OnePlus 5/5T. Both these devices belong to that time frame when OnePlus still had its originality of being a true flagship killer and more importantly, the OxygenOS was still in its original form and glory. Moreover, these devices were launched with Android 7 out of the box and have since received their fair share of 3 major OS upgrades.
But the clock doesn’t end at Android 10. Thanks to some great work done by the developers, you could now welcome the thirteenth iteration of the OS onto your device in the form of an AOSP ROM [Android Open Source Project]. So without any further ado, let’s get started with the steps to install Android 13 onto your OnePlus 5/5T.
Table of Contents
What’s New in Android 13?
With Android 13, you get a slew of new and intriguing features. To begin with, there are now 16 themed icon sets, as opposed to 4 in its predecessor. Talking about which, you will now also be able to implement these themed icons on various third-party apps as well. Apart from that, there’s now the ability to interact and edit the contents that are copied on the clipboard.
Then the addition of a QR Code scanner in the Quick Setting and the per-app language change [without affecting the overall system language] is also worthy of praise. Moreover, the latest OS build has done a great job in polishing the rough corners that were present in Android 12 and hence has made it even more stable and user-friendly. So on that note, let’s make you aware of the steps to install Android 13 onto your OnePlus 5/5T right away.
How to Install Android 13 on OnePlus 5/5T
The below instructions are listed under separate sections for ease of understanding. Make sure to follow the same sequence as mentioned. Droidwin and its members wouldn’t be held responsible in case of a thermonuclear war, your alarm doesn’t wake you up, or if anything happens to your device and data by performing the below steps.
STEP 1: Install Android SDK
First and foremost, you will have to install the Android SDK Platform Tools on your PC. This is the official ADB and Fastboot binary provided by Google and is the only recommended one. So download it and then extract it to any convenient location on your PC. Doing so will give you the platform-tools folder, which will be used throughout this guide.
STEP 2: Unlock Bootloader on OnePlus 5/5T
next up, you will have to unlock the bootloader on your device. Do keep in mind that doing so will wipe off all the data and might make the device’s warranty null and void as well. So if that’s well and good, then refer to our guide on How to Unlock Bootloader on any Android Device.
STEP 3: Install TWRP on OnePlus 5/5T
You will also need to install the TWRP Recovery onto your OnePlus 5/5T as it will help you to flash the latest Android13 ROM. So proceed ahead with the below steps and install it right away.
- To begin with, download the recovery file for your device from below
- Then transfer this recovery file to the platform-tools folder on your PC.
- Likewise, rename it to twrp, so that the complete name becomes twrp.img.
- Then execute the below command to flash the TWRP Recovery
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
- Once done, boot your device to recovery via the below command
fastboot boot twrp.img
- You may now boot to the OS from Reboot > System.
STEP 4: Download OnePlus 5/5T Android 13 ROM & GApps
- Next up, grab hold of the Android 13 ROM for your OnePlus 5/5T from below
AOSP Android 13 for OnePlus 5 [cheeseburger]: Download Link AOSP Android 13 for OnePlus 5T [dumpling]: Download Link Android 13 GApps: Download Link
- Now transfer the AOSP ROM and the GApps files to the platform-tools folder on your PC.
- Likewise, rename the AOSP ROM to rom, so that the complete name becomes rom.zip.
- On the other hand, rename the GApps package to gapps, so that the complete becomes gapps.zip.
STEP 5: Boot OnePlus 5/5T to TWRP Recovery
- Connect your device to the PC via USB cable. Make sure USB Debugging is enabled.
- Then head over to the platform-tools folder, type in CMD in the address bar, and hit Enter. This will launch the Command Prompt.
- After that, type in the following command in the CMD window to boot your device to Fastboot Mode
adb reboot recovery
STEP 6: Reset Device via TWRP
- Go to the Wipe section of TWRP and tap on Format Data.
- Then type in YES in the space provided.
- Finally, hit the checkmark situated at the bottom right.
STEP 7: Transfer ROM & GApps to Device
- Once reset is complete, go to Mount and tap on the Enable MTP button.
- Then open File Explorer on your PC. If your device is listed there, then transfer the ROM & GApps to your device.
- However, if it is not there, then execute the below commands to transfer the ROM and GApps to your device.
adb push rom.zip /sdcard adb push gapps.zip /sdcard
STEP 8: Install Android 13 on OnePlus 5/5T
- Go to the Install section of TWRP, navigate to the rom.zip file, and select it.
- Then perform a right swipe to flash it and wait for the process to complete.
- After that, go to Install, select the Gapps.zip fle and flash it as well.
- Once done, you may now reboot your device to the OS via Reboot > System.
That’s it. These were the steps to install the latest Android 13 onto your OnePlus 5/5T. If you have any queries concerning the aforementioned steps, do let us know in the comments. We will get back to you with a solution at the earliest.