In this guide, we will show you the steps to install the Android 12 ROM onto your OnePlus 7 Pro device. There’s a common notion going around that the OEM’s last worthy offering was its seventh iteration. And the company’s loyal fanbase would definitely echo this thought process as well. Since then it has ended up taking a few questionable decisions with the adoption of the ColorOS being right there at the top. Anyways, if we keep our focus on the seventh iteration, then its Pro variant has always been among the most active players in custom development.
Be it for flashing custom ROMs or installing a custom recovery like TWRP, there’s a lot to try out. Along the same lines, you could also gain administrative privileges by rooting your device via Magisk. To round it all off, the device has now been blessed with the latest build of the Android OS. And in this guide, we will show you how to welcome it onto your device. Given here are the detailed instructions steps to install the Android 12 ROM onto your OnePlus 7 Pro device. Follow along.
Table of Contents
What’s New in Android 12?
Just to recap, the Silicon Valley giants have introduced a plethora of new and interesting features in the twelfth iteration of the OS. These include the massive UI revamp thanks to the Material You design. Likewise, there’s a Wallpaper-based UX Theming that will pick up the major color from the wallpaper and theme it across various device components (such as the Notifications panel and Settings menu). Then there is an addition of the Privacy Dashboard as well.
This will tell you the date and time when an app asked for the location, camera, and microphone permissions. Moreover, there are some new accessibility features as well. These include the likes of Camera Switch that allows you to take full control of your device via your facial gestures. And you could now welcome all these features onto your device. Given here are the detailed instructions to install Android 12 AOSP ROM onto your OnePlus 7 Pro device.
How to Install Android 12 ROM on OnePlus 7 Pro
The below instructions are listed under separate sections for ease of understanding. Make sure to follow in the exact same sequence as mentioned. Droidwin and its members wouldn’t be held responsible in case of a thermonuclear war, your alarm doesn’t wake you up, or if anything happens to your device and data by performing the below steps.
STEP 1: Install Android SDK
First and foremost, you will have to install the Android SDK Platform Tools on your PC. This is the official ADB and Fastboot binary provided by Google and is the only recommended one. So download it and then extract it to any convenient location on your PC. Doing so will give you the platform-tools folder, which will be used throughout this guide.
STEP 2: Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking
Next up, you will have to enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking on your device. The former will make your device recognizable by the PC in ADB mode. This will then allow you to boot your device to Fastboot Mode. On the other hand, OEM Unlocking is required to carry out the bootloader unlocking process.
So head over to Settings > About Phone > Tap on Build Number 7 times > Go back to Settings > System > Advanced > Developer Options > Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking.
STEP 3: Unlock Bootloader on OnePlus 7 Pro
Next up, you will also have to unlock the device’s bootloader. Do keep in mind that doing so will wipe off all the data from your device and could nullify its warranty as well. So if that’s all well and good, then please refer to our detailed guide on How to Unlock Bootloader of Oneplus 7/7Pro.
STEP 4: Download Android 12 ROM for OnePlus 7 Pro
You may now get hold of the ROM file from the below link. The Vanilla build is free from all the Google Apps, Services, and Framework. Whereas the GApps build comes built-in with all the Google Apps and related components.
STEP 5: Extract Android 12 ROM Payload.bin
- Once you have downloaded the ROM ZIP file, extract it to any convenient location on your PC. This will give you a couple of files, including the payload.bin.
- You will now have to extract this BIN file to get hold of the required partition files. So refer to our guide on How to Extract payload.bin and get the stock IMG file.
- Once the extraction is complete, transfer the boot.img file to the platform-tools folder on your PC.
STEP 6: Boot to Fastboot Mode
- Now connect your device to the PC via USB cable. Make sure USB Debugging is enabled.
- Then head over to the platform-tools folder, type in CMD in the address bar, and hit Enter. This will launch the Command Prompt.
- Type in the following command in the CMD window to boot your device to Fastboot Mode
adb reboot bootloader
- To verify the Fastboot connection, type in the below command and you should get back the device ID.
STEP 7: Flash Android 12 ROM’s Boot.img
Type in the below command in the Command Prompt (that is opened in the platform-tools folder) to flash the ArrowOS ROM’s boot.img file:
fastboot flash boot boot.img
STEP 8: Boot OnePlus 7 Pro to TWRP
As of now, there’s still an element of doubt as to whether or not you could flash the TWRP Recovery onto your device running Android 12. So to stay away from this risk, let’s take a safer approach and only temporarily boot your device to TWRP.
- To do so, download the TWRP Recovery for the OnePlus 7 Pro.
- Then rename it to twrp, so that the complete name becomes twrp.img.
- After that, transfer this file to the platform-tools folder on your PC.
- Now open the CMD window inside this folder and type in the below command
fastboot boot twrp.img
- Your device will now boot to the TWRP Recovery.
STEP 9: Install Android 12 ROM on OnePlus 7 Pro via ADB Sideload
- Transfer the ROM ZIP file to the platform-tools folder on your PC. Rename it to rom, so that the complete name becomes rom.zip.
- After that, go to the Advanced section, select ADB Sideload, and perform a right swipe to start the process.
- Then open the CMD window and type in the below command to perform the sideload:
adb sideload rom.zip
- The ROM has been flashed to one of the slots, let’s now flash it to the second slot as well. So go to Reboot and select Recovery.
- Your device will boot to TWRP. Again go to Advanced > ADB Sideload and type in the below command to flash the ROM
adb sideload rom.zip
- With this, we have flashed the ROM to both the slots on your device. It’s time to format your device.
- So go to Wipe and tap on Format Data. After that, type in YES in the space provided. That’s it.
- You may now reboot the device to the newly installed OS via Reboot > System.
With this, we round off the guide on how you could install the Android 12 ROM onto your OnePlus 7 Pro device. If you have any queries concerning the aforementioned steps, do let us know in the comments. We will get back to you with a solution at the earliest.