In this guide, we will make you aware of the location where Magisk stores the stock boot.img and how to access it as well. When you root your device via Magisk by first temporarily booting via fastboot boot patched_boot.img then and then permanently flashing via Direct Install, then Magisk will first create a backup of the original boot.img and then only then it will flash the patched boot.img.
So if something goes wrong, you could use that file to unroot your device. Likewise when you tap on Uninstall Magisk > Restore Image, then also Magisk uses the same backed-up boot.img. Apart from that, you could save a few precious minutes and bandwidth of another user who has the same device, firmware version, and region by directly sharing your stock boot.img with him or her. But all this begs an important question-
Where does Magisk store stock boot.img
Magisk stores the stock boot.img file inside the data partition within the magisk_backup folder. Here’s how you could access it:
- Download and install a root-supported File Manager.
- Then launch it, go to its menu, and select Root directory.
- You’ll get a Magisk prompt, tap OK.
- Then go to /data and you should see the magisk_backup folder.
- Go there and the stock boot.img will be present in that folder.
How to Transfer boot.img to any other location?
You could easily transfer the stock boot.img to any other location of your choice directly via the File Explorer itself [no need to use any dd command]. If you’re using Solid Explorer, then here’s how:
- First off, go to data > magisk_backup > boot.img
- Then long press on it, tap on the overflow icon, and select Transfer.
- Now select Copy To and boot.img will be transferred to the Internal Storage.
- From there, you could now transfer it to the desired location.
So. with this, you have got a decent idea about the location where Magisk stores the stock boot.img and the steps to access it. If you have any queries concerning the aforementioned steps, do let us know in the comments. We will get back to you with a solution at the earliest.