In this guide, we will show you the steps to root any Umidigi device via Magisk patched boot.img. When we talk about Chinese OEMs, the likes of Xiaomi and OnePlus are usually the names that would come to your mind. However, there is one underrated entry that probably doesn’t get the appreciation that it deserves. The devices from Umidigi, especially the likes of Bison and A series are some of its most popular offerings to date. Offering a truckload of features at an affordable price for the masses, there’s not much left to ask.
Along the same lines, these devices are becoming quite an active player in custom development. Be it for flashing custom ROMs or installing a custom recovery like TWRP, there’s a lot to try out. Likewise, you could also root your Umidigi device via Magisk patched boot.img and welcome a plethora of goodies onto your device. And in this guide, we will help you with just that. Given here are the detailed instruction steps to root your Umidigi device via Magisk patched boot.img. Follow along.
Benefits and Risks of Rooting Umidigi Devices
There are a plentitude of tweaks that you could try out upon rooting your device. To begin with, you could install customized firmware such as the likes of Pixel Experience and HavocOS. Likewise, you could also gain administrative privileges and access to the system partition after obtaining root. This will then allow you to flash Magisk Modules, Xposed Framework, Substratum Themes, Viper4Android, and the likes. However, these tweaks do come with a few risks as well.
The first step towards rooting is unlocking the bootloader, which will wipe off all the data on your device. Likewise, it could also nullify the device’s warranty. Then the WideVine L1 Certification will be degraded to L3 which will result in the inability to stream Netflix in HD. Not to mention the fact that the SafetyNet will be triggered as well, resulting in the inability of the banking apps to function. So if that’s all well and good, then let’s get started with the guide to root your Umidigi device via Magisk patched boot.img.
How to Root Umidigi Devices via Magisk Patched Boot.img
The below instructions are listed under separate sections for ease of understanding. Make sure to follow in the exact same sequence as mentioned. Droidwin and its members wouldn’t be held responsible in case of a thermonuclear war, your alarm doesn’t wake you up, or if anything happens to your device and data by performing the below steps.
STEP 1: Install Android SDK
First and foremost, you will have to install the Android SDK Platform Tools on your PC. This is the official ADB and Fastboot binary provided by Google and is the only recommended one. So download it and then extract it to any convenient location on your PC. Doing so will give you the platform-tools folder, which will be used throughout this guide.
STEP 2: Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking
Next up, you will also have to enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking on your device. The former will make your device recognizable by the PC in ADB mode. This will then allow you to boot your device to Fastboot Mode. On the other hand, OEM Unlocking is required to carry out the bootloader unlocking process.
So head over to Settings > About Phone > Tap on Build Number 7 times > Go back to Settings > System > Advanced > Developer Options > Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking.
STEP 3: Unlock Bootloader on Umidigi
You will also have to unlock the device’s bootloader to root your Umidigi device via Magisk. Do keep in mind that doing so will wipe off all the data from your device. So take a backup beforehand and then refer to our guide on How to Unlock the Bootloader on Umidigi Devices.
STEP 4: Download Umidigi Firmware
Next up, grab hold of your device firmware from the below links. Only download the firmware file, no need for the SP Flash Tool.
|BISON Pro||Power 5||A11||BISON GT|
|A7||A7 Pro||S5 Pro||A3S|
|A5 Pro||Power||F1 Play||S3 Pro|
|F1||One Max||A3 Pro||A3|
STEP 5: Extract Umidigi Boot.img
- Once you have downloaded the firmware file, extract it to any convenient location on your PC.
- Upon extraction, you shall get the required firmware files.
- Copy the boot.img from it and transfer it to your device.
STEP 6: Patch Umidigi Boot.img
- To begin with, transfer the extracted stock boot.img file to your device.
- Then install the Magisk app onto your device.
- Launch it and tap on Install next to Magisk.
- Choose Select and Patch a file option,
- Navigate to the extracted boot.img file and select it.
- Magisk will now begin patching this file.
- Once done, you shall get the magisk_patched.img file under the Downloads folder of your device. We will now use this file to root your Umidigi device via Magisk.
STEP 7: Boot Umidigi Device to Fastboot Mode
- Now connect your device to the PC via USB cable. Make sure USB Debugging is enabled.
- Then head over to the platform-tools folder, type in CMD in the address bar, and hit Enter. This will launch the Command Prompt.
- Type in the following command in the CMD window to boot your device to Fastboot Mode
adb reboot bootloader
- To verify the Fastboot connection, type in the below command and you should get back the device ID.
STEP 8: Flash Magisk Patched Boot.img via Fastboot and Root Umidigi
- First off, transfer the patched boot.img file to the platform-tools folder on your PC. Also, make sure that the name of the file is magisk_patched.img, if not, then rename it right away.
- Now with your device booted to Fastboot and connected to PC, type in the below command in the CMD window to flash the patched file:
fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img
- Once the file has been flashed, you may reboot the device to the OS via the following command:
That’s it. These were the steps to root your Umidigi device via Magisk patched boot.img. If you have any queries concerning the aforementioned steps, do let us know in the comments. We will get back to you with a solution at the earliest.