In this guide, we will show you the steps to install the TWRP Recovery onto your Xiaomi 12/Pro/12X. The latest additions to the Xiaomi family have already become one of the most popular names in the town. Beholding a power-packed specs sheet at a price that is affordable by the masses, it seems to have checked all the boxes. And we aren’t just talking about the everyday use case scenario. Rather, these devices are performing quite decently in custom development as well.
Be it for flashing custom/GSI ROMs or gaining administrative access by rooting the device via Magisk, there’s a plethora of things to try out. However, before you could flash any of these mods, your device needs to have a working custom recovery. And in this guide, we will help you with just that. Given here are the detailed steps to install the TWRP Recovery onto your Xiaomi 12/Pro/12X.
How to Install TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi 12/Pro/12X
The below instructions are listed under separate sections for ease of understanding. Make sure to follow the same sequence as mentioned. Droidwin and its members wouldn’t be held responsible in case of a thermonuclear war, your alarm doesn’t wake you up, or if anything happens to your device and data by performing the below steps.
STEP 1: Install Android SDK
First and foremost, you will have to install the Android SDK Platform Tools on your PC. This is the official ADB and Fastboot binary provided by Google and is the only recommended one. So download it and then extract it to any convenient location on your PC. Doing so will give you the platform-tools folder, which will be used throughout this guide.
STEP 2: Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking
Next up, you will also have to enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking on your device. The former will make your device recognizable by the PC in ADB mode. This will then allow you to boot your device to Fastboot Mode. On the other hand, OEM Unlocking is required to carry out the bootloader unlocking process.
So head over to Settings > About Phone > Tap on MIUI Number 7 times > Go back to Settings > System > Advanced > Developer Options > Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking.
STEP 3: Unlock Xiaomi 12/12X/Pro Device Bootloader
Since this is an unofficial ROM (a custom ROM to be precise), you will need to unlock the device’s bootloader. However, doing so will wipe off all the data and could nullify the device’s warranty as well. So if that’s all well and good, then please refer to our guide on How to Unlock the Bootloader on any Xiaomi Device. Once that is done, you may move over to the next step to root your Xiaomi 12/Pro/12X via Magisk.
STEP 4: Download TWRP Recovery for Xiaomi 12/Pro/12X
- Get hold of the TWRP Recovery for your device from the below link
Xiaomi 12 Pro: Download Link Xiaomi 12: Download Link Xiaomi 12X: Download Link
- Once downloaded, rename the file to twrp, so that the complete name becomes twrp.img.
- Then transfer the twrp.img file to the platform-tools folder on your PC.
STEP 5: Boot Xiaomi 12/Pro/12X to Fastboot Mode
- Connect your device to the PC via USB cable. Make sure USB Debugging is enabled.
- Then head over to the platform-tools folder, type in CMD in the address bar, and hit Enter. This will launch the Command Prompt.
- Type in the following command in the CMD window to boot your device to Fastboot Mode
adb reboot bootloader
- Now type in the below command to verify the Fastboot Connection
- If you get a device ID followed by the fastboot keyword, then the connection stands successful.
STEP 6: Install TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi 12/Pro/12X
- To begin with, launch CMD inside the platform-tools folder.
- Then execute the below command to temporary boot your device to TWRP:
fastboot boot twrp.img
- Now within TWRP, go to Advanced and select Flash Current TWRP.
- That’s it. TWRP has been permanently flashed onto your device. You may now flash the desired mods.
- Once done, go to Reboot and select System to boot your device to the OS.
So these were the steps to install the TWRP Recovery on your Xiaomi 12/Pro/12X. If you have any queries concerning the aforementioned steps, do let us know in the comments. We will get back to you with a solution at the earliest.
- How to Install Pixel Experience on Xiaomi 12/Pro/12X
- How to Install LineageOS ROM on Xiaomi 12/Pro/12X
- Unbrick Xiaomi 12 Pro via Fastboot Commands
- How to Root Xiaomi 12/Pro/12X via Magisk Patched Boot