In this guide, we will show you the steps to install macOS on Windows 10 and hence directly run Mac apps on your PC. It has always been a never-ending debate as to which of the two OS occupies the top spot in the pecking order. In most cases, it ultimately boils down to two factors- the budget and the underlying need. In this regard, as of now the ratio of the Windows users have gained an upper hand over their Mac counterpart.
But even then, there could always arise a need where the former user might have to take a helping hand from the latter one. This situation arises more so in my area of expertise since I have to regularly cover write-ups for both the OS. And this is what gave rise to this article. Today, we will show you the steps to install macOS on your Windows 10 PC that will allow you to run Mac apps as well. So without further ado, let’s get started.
- How to Uninstall Apps on Windows 10 using Command Prompt
- How to Run Linux Commands in Windows 10 [without Virtual Machine]
- Unlock Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter in Windows 10
- How to Enable gpedit.msc Local Group Policy Editor in Windows 10 Home
How to Install macOS on Windows 10 and Run Mac Apps
Before we list out the instructions, let’s make you aware of the basic requirements that your PC needs to qualify. Do keep in mind that you would still be able to install macOS even if your PC doesn’t qualify these requirements, but it would be quite slow to be used as your daily driver.
- A PC or laptop running Windows 10 (might work on Windows 8/7, but I haven’t tested it on those versions).
- Minimum 8GB RAM (For RAM allocation to macOS, make sure not to exceed 50% of your total RAM. For example if you have 8GB RAM, then you could allocate anywhere between 2-4GB).
- 100GB or more free Disk Space (some space will be used by the macOS, others by the apps that you install). You could delete the macOS and regain all your space any time you want.
- A good WiFi connection that could download around 6.5GB of file with ease (6GB is for the macOS ROM, the rest will be used by a couple of other software.
So if that is all well and good, then you may proceed with the below steps to install macOS on your Windows 10 PC.
- First off, download Oracle’s Virtual Box for your Windows PC. This is an emulator software that will be used to run macOS onto your Windows setup.
- Next up, download the Virtual Box Extension Pack. This is an add-on that will make it possible for the keyboard and mouse to function on your macOS properly. Likewise, it will also enable support for USB 3.0.
- Finally, download the macOS Catalina Virtual Machine IMG file [Credits: MakeUseOf]. This is the ROM file that will be loaded onto the Virtual Box in order to run the macOS and Mac apps onto your Windows 10 PC.
STEP 1: Install the Required Files
- To being with, launch the Virtual Box setup and proceed with the on-screen instructions to install it onto your PC. Make sure you remember the location as it will be used later on.
- Once the installation is complete, uncheck the Start Oracle VM VirtualBox option and hit Finish.
- Now launch the Virtual Box Extension setup and install it onto your PC as well.
- Once that is done, extract the downloaded macOS Catalina Virtual Machine IMG file to your PC.
That’s it, these were the required files that were needed to be downloaded/extracted. You may now proceed with the instructions to run the macOS and Mac apps onto your Windows 10 PC.
STEP 2: Setup Virtual Box for macOS on Windows 10
- Launch OracleVM Virtual Box and click on the New button situated at the top menu bar.
- Under Name, type in macOS. Virtual Box will then automatically assign Type and Version.
- You will now have to allocate RAM. You may leave it at the recommended level and click Next.
- Under the Hard Disk dialog box, select Use an existing virtual hard disk file. Then click on the Browse icon.
- Click on the Add button in the menu that appears. Then navigate to the downloaded macOS ROM file and select it.
- macOS will now be loaded onto the Virtual Box. Click on Create and wait for the process to complete.
STEP 3: Optimize macOS Catalina Virtual Machine for Windows 10
We will now be tweaking the VM settings so that macOS is able to install and run in the most efficient manner. Follow along.
- Go to the System settings and then to the Motherboard tab. From there, uncheck Floppy from the boot order. Likewise, also ensure that the Chipset is set to ICH9.
- After that, head over to the Processor tab, drag the arrow marker and assign it two processors. Also, make sure that Enable PAE/NX box is enabled.
- Now go to the Display section and set Video Memory to 128MB.
- After that, go to Storage, and enable the Use Host I/O Cache option.
- Finally, head to the USB tab, select USB 3.0, and hit OK.
The setup is now complete as well. Let’s now add a few lines of commands to add the finishing touch that will easily allow you to run macOS and Mac apps onto your Windows 10 PC.
STEP 4: Add Virtual Machine Codes for macOS
- To begin with, close the Virtual Box that it doesn’t conflict with the execution of codes.
- Then head over to the folder where you have installed Virtual Box.
- Go to that folder’s address bar, type in CMD, and hit Enter. This shall launch the Command Prompt window:
- Now execute the following six commands inside this CMD window one at a time. Make sure to write the correct name under double inverted commas (in our case, it is macOS):
VBoxManage.exe modifyvm "macOS" --cpuidset 00000001 000106e5 00100800 0098e3fd bfebfbff VBoxManage setextradata "macOS" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemProduct" "iMac11,3" VBoxManage setextradata "macOS" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemVersion" "1.0" VBoxManage setextradata "macOS" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiBoardProduct" "Iloveapple" VBoxManage setextradata "macOS" "VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/DeviceKey" "ourhardworkbythesewordsguardedpleasedontsteal(c)AppleComputerInc" VBoxManage setextradata "macOS" "VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/GetKeyFromRealSMC" 1
- Once all six commands have been executed, you may close the CMD window.
STEP 5: Boot your Windows 10 PC to macOS
- It’s now time to put all our efforts to test! So launch the Virtual Box software and double click on the macOS virtual machine from the left menu bar to start it.
- It will now run a few lines of codes and then the installation process will start. It could take around 15-20 minutes for the installation to complete.
- That’s it, the process stands complete. You may now download and install the desired app onto your macOS that is running on your Windows 10 PC.
STEP 6: Shutdown macOS Virtual Machine on Windows 10
- If you are done using macOS and want to close it, then don’t directly shut down your Windows PC.
- Rather you will first have to shutdown macOS. For that, click on the Apple logo situated at the top right and select ShutDown.
- Mac will now close down, followed by the Virtual Machine. You may then shut down your Windows PC if required.
So on that note, we conclude this guide on how you could install macOS and run Mac apps onto your Windows 10 PC. If you have any queries concerning the aforementioned steps, do let us know in the comments. We will get back to you with a solution at the earliest.