In this guide, we will show you the steps to install the latest LineageOS 20 based on Android 13 onto your Sony Xperia 1 III. The Xperia 1 series has always been among the most popular offerings from Sony, with its third iteration managing to catch the attention of the masses. Beholding all the required prerequisites at a price that wouldn’t burn a hole in your pockets, well, there’s not much left to ask for. Along the same lines, these devices are quite active in custom development.
Whether it’s flashing custom firmware, gaining administrative access via Magisk, or welcoming abode a plethora of mods, there’s a lot to look forward to. if we keep our attention towards custom ROMs, then one of the most popular in this doing has just made its way over to your device. So without further ado, let’s show you the steps to install the latest LineageOS 20 based on Android 13 onto your Sony Xperia 1 III.
Install LineageOS 20 Android 13 on Sony Xperia 1 III
Before starting, please take a backup of all the data as the process will reset your device. Moreover, you’ll need to be on the latest Android 13 firmware. Droidwin and its members wouldn’t be held responsible in case of a thermonuclear war, your alarm doesn’t wake you up, or if anything happens to your device and data by performing the below steps.
STEP 1: Install Android SDK
First and foremost, you will have to install the Android SDK Platform Tools on your PC. This is the official ADB and Fastboot binary provided by Google and is the only recommended one. So download it and then extract it to any convenient location on your PC. Doing so will give you the platform tools folder, which will be used throughout this guide.
STEP 2: Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking
Next up, you will also have to enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking on your device. The former will make your device recognizable by the PC in ADB mode. This will then allow you to boot your device to Fastboot Mode. On the other hand, OEM Unlocking is required to carry out the bootloader unlocking. So head over to Settings > About Phone > Tap on Build Number 7 times > Go back to Settings > System > Advanced > Developer Options > Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking.
STEP 3: Unlock Bootloader on Sony Xperia 1 III
Next up, you will also have to unlock the device’s bootloader. Do keep in mind that doing so will wipe off all the data from your device and could nullify its warranty as well. So if that’s all well and good, then please refer to our detailed guide on How to Unlock Bootloader on any Sony Xperia Device. Once done, don’t restore the backup now as we will have to again format the device in the subsequent steps.
STEP 4: Download LineageOS 20 ROM for Sony Xperia 1 III
- Grab hold of the LineageOS ROM and its associated files for your Sony Xperia 1 III from below.
- The LineageOS Recovery file is vendor_boot.img, make sure to download the latest one.
LineageOS 20 | dtbo.img | vendor_boot.img | boot.img GApps Android 13: Download Link [Recommended: MindTheGAppps]
- Once you have downloaded all the files, transfer them to the platform-tools folder.
- Moreover, rename the LineageOS ROM to rom.zip and Google Apps to gapps.zip.
STEP 5: Boot Sony Xperia 1 III to Fastboot Mode
- Now connect your device to the PC via a USB cable. Make sure USB Debugging is enabled.
- Then head over to the platform-tools folder, type in CMD in the address bar, and hit Enter. This will launch the Command Prompt.
- Type in the following command in the CMD window to boot your device to Fastboot Mode
adb reboot bootloader
- To verify the Fastboot connection, type in the below command and you should get back the device ID.
- If you are not getting any ID, then make sure to install the Fastboot Drivers on your PC.
STEP 6: Install LineageOS Recovery on Sony Xperia 1 III
- First off, flash the dtbo to its partition via the below command:
fastboot flash dtbo dtbo.img
- Next up, flash the LineageOS recovery onto your device via the below command:
fastboot flash vendor_boot vendor_boot.img
- Now flash the boot.img to its partition using the below command:
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- Once the flashing is complete, type in the below command to boot to the LineageOS Recovery.
fastboot reboot recovery
STEP 7: Factory Reset Sony Xperia 1 III
- From the Custom Recovery, go to Factory Reset.
- Then select Format Data/Factory Reset > Format Data.
- Your device will now undergo a reset.
- Once done, you shall get the “Data wipe complete” message.
STEP 8: Install LineageOS 20 on Sony Xperia 1 III
- From the LineageOS Recovery, go to Apply Update > Apply from ADB.
- Then head over to the platform-tools folder, type in CMD in the address bar, and hit Enter.
- This will launch the Command Prompt. So type in the below command to flash the ROM file via Sideload:
adb sideload rom.zip
- The process will now begin and once done, you shall get the Total xfer: 1.00x message [Got an error? See FAQ below].
- If you want to install GApps, then move over to the next step otherwise select Reboot System Now to boot to the OS.
STEP 9: Install GApps [Optional]
- Go to Advanced > Reboot to Recovery. Your device will reboot to LineageOS Recovery.
- Once done, go to Apply Update > Apply from ADB.
- Now type in the below command to flash the GApps file via Sideload:
adb sideload gapps.zip
- You will get a Signature Verification failed message because the GApps package isn’t signed by LineageOS. That’s not an issue, just hit YES to proceed ahead.
- Once done, you may now finally reboot your device to the OS via “Reboot system now”.
That’s it. These were the steps to install the LineageOS ROM based on Android 13 on Sony Xperia 1 III. If you have any queries concerning the aforementioned steps, do let us know your doubt and the device that you are using in the comments. We will get back to you with a solution at the earliest.
- How to Enable VoLTE and VoWiFi in Xperia 1 III
- Download and Install Android 13 on Sony Xperia 1 IV
- Install LineageOS 20 Android 13 on Sony Xperia 5 II
- Sony Xperia 1 IV Overheating Issue: How to Fix