In this guide, we will show you two different methods to fix the HP Printer not working Filter Fail Error in Chromebook Chrome OS v97. These laptops from the Search Engine giants were initially used mostly in schools, enterprises, and organizations. However, recently it has seen its popularity on the rise among everyday users as well, so much so that some have even made the jump from Windows to Chrome OS.
But we might not see that happening on the large scale any time soon, more so after its recent buggy phase. While issues with its Network and Phone Hub app is still yet to be addressed, a new bug has already made its way. All the users who have updated their Chromebook to Chrome OS v97 are reporting that their HP Printer is no longer working.
Whenever they are trying to print a file, they are instead being greeted with the Failed- Filter Fail error message. For some, even the printer is not appearing on their laptop. So if you are also getting bugged with this issue, then this tutorial shall help you out. In this guide, we will show you various methods to fix the HP Printer not working Filter Fail Error in Chromebook Chrome OS v97. Follow along.
HP Printer not working in Chromebook Chrome OS: Fix Filter Failed Error
There exist two different methods of rectifying this issue- using the Service Plugin app and via downgrading the OS. We have listed both these methods below. Go through them and then decide which one you should try out.
FIX 1: Via HP Print Service Plugin
- To begin with, install the HP Print Service plugin from the Play Store.
- Then bring up the print menu but instead of using the Print option, choose Save as PDF.
- Now save this file somewhere on your PC.
- Then open the Files app, navigate to that saved file, and select Share.
- Select HP Print Service from the share menu.
- Now select your printer and choose the desired print options (1 or 2 sided, color or black & white, etc).
- Finally, hit the Print icon situated at the top right and the page would be now printed without any issues.
- Check if it fixes the HP Printer not working Filter Fail Error in Chromebook Chrome OS v97.
FIX 2: Downgrade Chrome OS to v96
This issue is currently bugging Chrome OS stable version 97.0.4692.91 and Beta version 98.0.4758.51. In this regard, downgrading it to the earlier OS build version 96.0.4664.111 has rectified this issue for many users. But do keep in mind that this process will wipe off all the data on your device, so take a backup of all the data on your PC and then refer to our guide on How to Downgrade Chromebook Chrome OS to an Older Version [2 Methods]. The shorter instruction is given below:
Downgrade Via Powerwash
- Head over to the log-in screen and press the Ctrl+Shift+Alt+R shortcut keys.
- This will bring the Reset page. Again press the Ctrl+Shift+Alt+R shortcut.
- Now click on the Powerwash and Revert button situated at the bottom right.
- Your Chromebook will now be wiped and subsequently downgraded to the earlier version.
Downgrade via Crosh
- Then use the Ctrl+Alt+T shortcut keys to open the Crosh terminal.
- Now type in the below command and hit Enter:
- Your Chromebook will now undergo a reset and will be downgraded to the earlier stable build.
That’s it. These were the two different methods to fix the HP Printer not working Filter Fail Error in Chromebook Chrome OS v97. Until Google rolls out an official patch, the aforementioned workarounds are your best bet. In this regard, as and when there is any further development, we will update this guide accordingly. In the meantime, you may drop in your queries in the comments section below.
- Network not available when setting up Chromebook: How to Fix
- Phone Hub Not Working: Cannot Connect Android to Chromebook [Fixed]
- Printer not working in Windows 11: How to Fix
- How to Fix Amazon Prime Video Error 7235 on Chromebook