In this guide, we will show you the steps to install the TWRP Recovery on Redmi Note 9/Note 9 Pro devices. Redmi devices stand by its USP of providing feature-rich devices at an affordable price to the masses. In this regard, the ninth addition to the Note family has stood true to its statement. Well, not only did it manage to checkmark most of the prerequisites for the general users, but it also has plenty of goodies to offer to tech enthusiasts as well.
Be it for trying out the popular EU ROMs, for flashing a custom kernel, or even gaining access to the system partition by rooting your device via Magisk, the possibilities stand endless. This will then allow you to flash your desired root modules such as the ones provided by Magisk or the likes of Xposed/LSposed. But before you could install any of these mods onto your device, there is a major requirement that your device needs to fulfill (apart from the obvious bootloader unlocking)- you need to have a working custom recovery.
Once you get hold of the same, you could then easily flash the desired IMG/ZIP files. Likewise, it will then also help you in taking a backup of all the partitions on your device via the Nandroid backup feature. So having such a wide array of features makes it all clear why the Redmi Note 9/Note 9 Pro devices owners are looking to install the TWRP Recovery onto their devices. If you also echo this thought, then let’s get started with the instructions set.
How to Install TWRP Recovery on Redmi Note 9/Note 9 Pro
The below instructions are listed under separate sections for ease of understanding. Make sure to follow in the exact same sequence as mentioned. Droidwin and its members wouldn’t be held responsible in case of a thermonuclear war, your alarm doesn’t wake you up, or if anything happens to your device and data by performing the below steps.
STEP 1: Install Android SDK
First and foremost, you will have to install the Android SDK Platform Tools on your PC. This is the official ADB and Fastboot binary provided by Google and is the only recommended one. So download it and then extract it to any convenient location on your PC. Doing so will give you the platform-tools folder, which will be used throughout this guide to install the TWRP Recovery on Redmi Note 9/Note 9 Pro.
STEP 2: Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking
Next up, you will also have to enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking on your device. The former will make your device recognizable by the PC in ADB mode. This will then allow you to boot your device to Fastboot Mode. On the other hand, OEM Unlocking is required to carry out the bootloader unlocking process.
So head over to Settings > About Phone > Tap on Build Number 7 times > Go back to Settings > System > Advanced > Developer Options > Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking.
STEP 3: Unlock Bootloader on Redmi Note 9/Note 9 Pro
Next up, you will also have to unlock the device’s bootloader. Do keep in mind that doing so will wipe off all the data from your device and could nullify its warranty as well. So if that’s all well and good, then please refer to our detailed guide on How to Unlock Bootloader on any Xiaomi Device.
STEP 4: Download TWRP Recovery for Redmi Note 9/Note 9 Pro
You may now grab hold of the TWRP Recovery for your Redmi Note 9 from the below link. As for the Note 9 Pro is concerned, we will suggest you go for the OrangeFox Recovery as there are few underlying issues with TWRP. Once everyone is rectified, we will update this post with a working TWRP for Note 9 Pro. We have also attached a separate guide for flashing OrangeFox, so please refer to that one.
- [Unofficial] TWRP Recovery for Redmi Note 9: Download Link
- OrangeFox Recovery for Redmi Note 9 Pro: Download Link | How to Install OrangeFox Recovery
[For Redmi Note 9] Once you have downloaded the recovery, rename it to twrp so that the complete name becomes twrp.img. Likewise, transfer this twrp.img file to the platform-tools folder on your PC. Once that is done, move over to the next step of this guide to install TWRP on Redmi Note 9/ Note 9 Pro.
STEP 5: Boot to Fastboot Mode
- Now connect your device to the PC via USB cable. Make sure USB Debugging is enabled.
- Then head over to the platform-tools folder, type in CMD in the address bar, and hit Enter. This will launch the Command Prompt.
- Type in the following command in the CMD window to boot your device to Fastboot Mode
adb reboot bootloader
- To verify the Fastboot connection, type in the below command and you should get back the device ID.
STEP 6: Flash TWRP Recovery on Redmi Note 9
- Make sure that the recovery has been named to twrp.img and is placed inside the platform-tools folder.
- Now head over to this platform-tools folder, type in CMD in the address bar, and hit Enter. This will launch the Command Prompt.
- Then type in the following command in the CMD window to install the TWRP Recovery onto your Redmi Note 9/ Note 9 Pro:
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
- TWRP has now been successfully flashed, let’s now boot the Redmi Note 9/Note 9 Pro to TWRP Recovery [compulsory, not optional]. So enter the below command for that:
fastboot boot twrp.img
- Your device will now be booted to TWRP, but the recovery will be in the Chinese language. So refer to our guide on How to Change Language in TWRP Recovery.
- Once that is done, you may now carry out the desired task. When you need to exit the recovery and reboot the device to OS, then go to Reboot > System.
That’s it. These were the steps to install the TWRP Recovery onto the Redmi Note 9/Note 9 Pro. If you have any queries concerning the aforementioned steps, do let us know in the comments. We will get back to you with a solution at the earliest.
- How to Flash Xiaomi Fastboot ROM without Mi Flash Tool
- How to Root Redmi Note 9 via Magisk without TWRP
- Force 90Hz Refresh Rate on Xiaomi/Poco/Redmi Devices
- How to Unbrick Redmi Note 9 Pro via Fastboot Commands
- What is Xiaomi EU ROM | How to Flash Xiaomi EU ROM