In this guide, we will show you the steps to install the TWRP Recovery on the Redmi K40 Pro device. The latest addition to the K series is there for the ages! The impressive specs sheets, decent build quality, and the company’s USP of making it affordable for the masses have resulted in the K40 and its Pro variant being one of the most talked-about devices in recent months. And truth be told, it seems to have lived up to this hype in quite some style.
Not only for the general users, but it has also left its mark on tech enthusiasts as well. Be it for flashing custom ROMs or trying out mods such as Magisk Modules, Xposed Frameworks, Substratum, etc there’s a lot to look forward to. However, flashing any of the aforementioned tweaks, or even a simple IMG or ZIP file isn’t possible until you have a custom recovery installed. Once you get hold of the same, you will also be able to take a backup of all the partitions on your device via Nandroid backup.
Likewise, you could also carry out other advanced functionalities (such as fixing the recovery bootloop). So with such a long list of perks attached, it’s no doubt why the device owners are looking for a method to install this recovery onto their device. If you are also on the same page, then this guide is here to help you out. Given hereby are detailed instructions to install the TWRP Recovery onto your Redmi K40 Pro device.
How to Install TWRP Recovery on Redmi K40 Pro
The below instructions are listed under separate sections for ease of understanding. Make sure to follow in the exact same sequence as mentioned. Droidwin and its members wouldn’t be held responsible in case of a thermonuclear war, your alarm doesn’t wake you up, or if anything happens to your device and data by performing the below steps.
STEP 1: Install Android SDK
First and foremost, you will have to install the Android SDK Platform Tools on your PC. This is the official ADB and Fastboot binary provided by Google and is the only recommended one. So download it and then extract it to any convenient location on your PC. Doing so will give you the platform-tools folder, which will be used throughout this guide to install the TWRP Recovery on Redmi K40 Pro.
STEP 2: Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking
Next up, you will also have to enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking on your device. The former will make your device recognizable by the PC in ADB mode. This will then allow you to boot your device to Fastboot Mode. On the other hand, OEM Unlocking is required to carry out the bootloader unlocking process.
So head over to Settings > About Phone > Tap on Build Number 7 times > Go back to Settings > System > Advanced > Developer Options > Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking.
STEP 3: Unlock Bootloader on Redmi K40 Pro
Next up, you will also have to unlock the device’s bootloader. Do keep in mind that doing so will wipe off all the data from your device and could nullify its warranty as well. So if that’s all well and good, then please refer to our detailed guide on How to Unlock Bootloader on any Xiaomi Device.
STEP 4: Download TWRP Recovery for Redmi K40 Pro
You may now grab hold of the TWRP Recovery corresponding to your device from the below link:
- [Unofficial] TWRP Recovery for Redmi K40 Pro [haydn]: Download Link
Once you have downloaded the recovery, rename it to twrp so that the complete name becomes twrp.img. Likewise, transfer this twrp.img file to the platform-tools folder on your PC. Once that is done, move over to the next step of this guide to install TWRP on Redmi K40 Pro.
STEP 5: Boot to Fastboot Mode
- Now connect your device to the PC via USB cable. Make sure USB Debugging is enabled.
- Then head over to the platform-tools folder, type in CMD in the address bar, and hit Enter. This will launch the Command Prompt.
- Type in the following command in the CMD window to boot your device to Fastboot Mode
adb reboot bootloader
- To verify the Fastboot connection, type in the below command and you should get back the device ID.
STEP 6: Flash TWRP Recovery on Redmi K40 Pro
- Make sure that the recovery has been named to twrp.img and is placed inside the platform-tools folder.
- Now head over to this platform-tools folder, type in CMD in the address bar, and hit Enter. This will launch the Command Prompt.
- Then type in the following command in the CMD window to boot Redmi K40 Pro to TWRP Recovery:
fastboot boot twrp.img
- Your device will now be booted to TWRP, but the recovery will be in the Chinese language. So refer to our guide on How to Change Language in TWRP Recovery.
- Once you have changed the language to English, go to the Advanced section and tap on Onekey Inject TWRP.
- After that, perform a right swipe to inject (permanently install) the TWRP onto your device.
- Once that is done, you may now carry out the desired task. When you need to exit the recovery and reboot the device to OS, then go to Reboot > System.
That’s it. These were the steps to install the TWRP Recovery onto the Redmi K40 Pro. If you have any queries concerning the aforementioned steps, do let us know in the comments. We will get back to you with a solution at the earliest.
- How to Flash Xiaomi Fastboot ROM without Mi Flash Tool
- How to Install TWRP Recovery via Xiaomi ADB Fastboot Tools
- What is Xiaomi EU ROM | How to Flash Xiaomi EU ROM
- How to Force 90Hz Refresh Rate on Xiaomi/Poco/Redmi Devices