In this guide, we will show you the steps to install the TWRP Recovery onto the Mi 9/Lite/Pro/9T/9T Pro devices. When it comes to custom development, there’s no denying the fact that the offerings of Chinese OEMs have always been right there at the top. There are a few concerns that these aren’t as developer-friendly devices as their counterpart. This is because it makes you wait 3+ days to unlock the bootloader and even preventing the general users from unbricking their device by accessing the EDL mode.
But even then, the tech enthusiasts aren’t much worried by these roadblocks. They are always looking to try out new and intriguing tweaks onto their devices. And we can’t blame them either, especially when you have a plethora of modifications to try out. However, getting hold of a custom recovery is among the most important requirements. Once you have it installed, you could then flash any ZIP or IMG file, or take a backup of all the partitions on your device via the Nandroid backup feature,
Along the same lines, you could also flash a custom ROM like Xiaomi EU ROM onto your device. Moreover, TWRP also beholds a plethora of other advanced functionalities. These include the likes of flashing recovery in Ramdisk, fixing recovery bootloop, using the built-in terminal among others. So on that note, let’s now make you aware of the steps to install the TWRP Recovery onto the Mi 9/Lite/Pro/9T/9T Pro devices. Follow along,
How to Install TWRP Recovery on Mi 9/Lite/Pro/9T/9T Pro
The below instructions are listed under separate sections for ease of understanding. Make sure to follow in the exact same sequence as mentioned. Droidwin and its members wouldn’t be held responsible in case of a thermonuclear war, your alarm doesn’t wake you up, or if anything happens to your device and data by performing the below steps.
STEP 1: Install Android SDK
First and foremost, you will have to install the Android SDK Platform Tools on your PC. This is the official ADB and Fastboot binary provided by Google and is the only recommended one. So download it and then extract it to any convenient location on your PC. Doing so will give you the platform-tools folder, which will be used throughout this guide to install the TWRP Recovery on Mi 9/Lite/Pro/9T/9T Pro.
STEP 2: Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking
Next up, you will also have to enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking on your device. The former will make your device recognizable by the PC in ADB mode. This will then allow you to boot your device to Fastboot Mode. On the other hand, OEM Unlocking is required to carry out the bootloader unlocking process.
So head over to Settings > About Phone > Tap on Build Number 7 times > Go back to Settings > System > Advanced > Developer Options > Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking.
STEP 3: Unlock Bootloader on Mi 9/Lite/Pro/9T/9T Pro
Next up, you will also have to unlock the device’s bootloader. Do keep in mind that doing so will wipe off all the data from your device and could nullify its warranty as well. So if that’s all well and good, then please refer to our detailed guide on How to Unlock Bootloader on any Xiaomi Device.
STEP 4: Download TWRP Recovery for Mi 9/Lite/Pro/9T/9T Pro
You may now grab hold of the official TWRP Recovery corresponding to your device from the below link:
- Xiaomi Mi 9: twrp-3.5.2_9-0-cepheus.img
- Xiaomi Mi 9 SE: twrp-3.5.2_9-0-grus.img
- Mi 9 Lite/CC9: twrp-3.5.2_9-0-pyxis.img
- Xiaomi Mi 9T / Redmi K20: twrp-3.5.2_9-0-davinci.img
- Xiaomi Mi 9T Pro / Redmi K20 Pro: twrp-3.5.2_9-0-raphael.img
Once you have downloaded the recovery, rename it to twrp so that the complete name becomes twrp.img. Likewise, transfer this twrp.img file to the platform-tools folder on your PC. Once that is done, move over to the next step of this guide to install TWRP on Mi 9/Lite/Pro/9T/9T Pro.
STEP 5: Boot to Fastboot Mode
- Now connect your device to the PC via USB cable. Make sure USB Debugging is enabled.
- Then head over to the platform-tools folder, type in CMD in the address bar, and hit Enter. This will launch the Command Prompt.
- Type in the following command in the CMD window to boot your device to Fastboot Mode
adb reboot bootloader
- To verify the Fastboot connection, type in the below command and you should get back the device ID.
STEP 6: Flash TWRP Recovery on Mi 9/Lite/Pro/9T/9T Pro
- Make sure that the recovery has been named to twrp.img and is placed inside the platform-tools folder.
- Now head over to this platform-tools folder, type in CMD in the address bar, and hit Enter. This will launch the Command Prompt.
- Then type in the following command in the CMD window to install the TWRP Recovery onto your Xiaomi Mi 9/Lite/Pro/9T/9T Pro.
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
- TWRP has now been successfully flashed, let’s now boot your device this recovery [compulsory, not optional]. Enter the below command for that:
fastboot boot twrp.img
- Your device will now boot to TWRP and you may now carry out the desired task. Once done, you may reboot the device to OS via Reboot > System.
That’s it. These were the steps to install the TWRP Recovery onto the Mi 9/Lite/Pro/9T/9T Pro devices. If you have any queries concerning the aforementioned steps, do let us know in the comments. We will get back to you with a solution at the earliest.