In this guide, we will show you the steps to install the Pitch Black Recovery Project on Poco F4. Due to the complexities involved, developers are slowly but surely shifting from a third-party recovery like TWRP to their own that ships in with their ROM, such as Pixel Experience Recovery along with the Pixel Experience ROM. However, Xiaomi is among the very few players in the market that still have active support for these third-party recoveries.
Whereas on one hand, other devices aren’t even able to get hold of TWRP, on the other hand, the likes of Poco and Redmi series are split for choice. Not only do we have official support for TWRP, but we also have the luxuries to choose one of their forked versions as well, such as OrangeFox and PBRB. And in this guide, we will be focusing on the latter. So without further ado, let’s get started with the steps to install the Pitch Black Recovery Project on Poco F4.
How to Install Pitch Black Recovery Project on Poco F4
The below instructions are listed under separate sections for ease of understanding. Make sure to follow in the exact same sequence as mentioned. Droidwin and its members wouldn’t be held responsible in case of a thermonuclear war, your alarm doesn’t wake you up, or if anything happens to your device and data by performing the below steps.
STEP 1: Install Android SDK
First and foremost, you will have to install the Android SDK Platform Tools on your PC. This is the official ADB and Fastboot binary provided by Google and is the only recommended one. So download it and then extract it to any convenient location on your PC. Doing so will give you the platform-tools folder, which will be used throughout this guide to install the Pitch Black Recovery Project on Poco F4.
STEP 2: Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking
Next up, you will also have to enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking on your device. The former will make your device recognizable by the PC in ADB mode. This will then allow you to boot your device to Fastboot Mode. On the other hand, OEM Unlocking is required to carry out the bootloader unlocking.
So head over to Settings > About Phone > Tap on Build Number 7 times > Go back to Settings > System > Advanced > Developer Options > Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking.
STEP 3: Unlock Bootloader on Poco F4
Next up, you will also have to unlock the device’s bootloader. Do keep in mind that doing so will wipe off all the data from your device and could nullify its warranty as well. So if that’s all well and good, then please refer to our detailed guide on How to Unlock Bootloader on any Xiaomi Device.
STEP 4: Download Pitch Black Recovery Project for Poco F4
- You may now grab hold of the PBRP corresponding to your device from the below links:
- MIUI 13 & other Android 13 ROM users should download NON-CAF-based recovery whereas AOSPA & Reloaded ROMs should download CAF-based recovery.
PBRP [FOR NON-CAF ROMS] for Poco F4: DOWNLOAD LINK PBRP [FOR CAF-BASED ROMS] for Poco F4: DOWNLOAD LINK
- Once downloaded, rename the recovery IMG file to pbrp.img.
- Likewise, transfer it to the platform-tools folder on your PC.
STEP 5: Boot to Fastboot Mode
- Now connect your device to the PC via a USB cable. Make sure USB Debugging is enabled.
- Then head over to the platform-tools folder, type in CMD in the address bar, and hit Enter. This will launch the Command Prompt.
- Type in the following command in the CMD window to boot your device to Fastboot Mode
adb reboot bootloader
- To verify the Fastboot connection, type in the below command and you should get back the device ID.
- If you are not getting any serial ID, then please install the Fastboot Drivers on your PC.
STEP 6: Install Pitch Bacl Recovery Project on Poco F4
- Head over to the platform tools folder, type in CMD in the address bar, and hit Enter. This will launch the Command Prompt.
- Then type in the following command in the CMD window to temporarily boot your Poco F4 to PBRP:
fastboot boot pbrp.img
- Your device will now boot to PBRP. So go to Advanced > Flash Current PBRP to permanently install it. That’s it.
These were the steps to install the Pitch Black Recovery Project onto your Poco F4. If you have any queries concerning the aforementioned steps, do let us know in the comments. We will get back to you with a solution at the earliest.
- How to Flash Xiaomi Fastboot ROM without Mi Flash Tool
- Unbrick Redmi Note 10 Pro/Pro Max via Fastboot Commands
- How to Install TWRP Recovery via Xiaomi ADB Fastboot Tools
- What is Xiaomi EU ROM | How to Flash Xiaomi EU ROM
- Force 120Hz Refresh Rate in any Android via ADB Commands