In this guide, we will show you the steps to install the latest LineageOS ROM on your Pixel 7A. The devices from the Silicon Valley giant are known for their exceptional camera quality, fastest OS updates, and clean stock usage experience. However, there is one aspect of these devices that isn’t usually talked about much- these devices are among the most active players in custom development.
One shouldn’t look any further to cement this statement than by checking out the newest addition to the Pixel family. While it has only been a few days since its launch, it has already been blessed with perhaps the most well know custom ROMs ever to grace this field. The ever-so-popular LineageOS has just made its way over to the Pixel 7A and in this guide, we will show you how to install it right away.
How to Install LineageOS on Pixel 7A
The below steps will wipe off all the data from your device, so please take a complete device backup beforehand. Droidwin and its members wouldn’t be held responsible in case of a thermonuclear war, your alarm doesn’t wake you up, or if anything happens to your device and data by performing the below steps.
STEP 1: Install Android SDK
First and foremost, you will have to install the Android SDK Platform Tools on your PC. This is the official ADB and Fastboot binary provided by Google and is the only recommended one. So download it and then extract it to any convenient location on your PC. Doing so will give you the platform-tools folder, which will be used throughout this guide.
STEP 2: Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking
Next up, you will also have to enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking on your device. The former will make your device recognizable by the PC in ADB mode. This will then allow you to boot your device to Fastboot Mode. On the other hand, OEM Unlocking is required to carry out the bootloader unlocking process.
So head over to Settings > About Phone > Tap on Build Number 7 times > Go back to Settings > System > Developer Options > Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking.
STEP 3: Unlock Bootloader on Pixel 7A
Next up, you will also have to unlock the device’s bootloader. Do keep in mind that doing so will wipe off all the data from your device and could nullify its warranty as well. So if that’s all well and good, then please refer to our detailed guide on How to Unlock the Bootloader on Pixel 7A.
STEP 4: Download LineageOS 20 for Pixel 7A
- You could now grab hold of the ROM and its associated files from the below link:
ROM | vendor_kernel_boot | vendor_boot | dtbot.img | GApps
- Rename the ROM file to rom.zip and transfer all the files to the platform-tools folder.
STEP 5: Boot Pixel 7A Fastboot Mode
- Now connect your device to the PC via a USB cable. Make sure USB Debugging is enabled.
- Then head over to the platform-tools folder, type in CMD in the address bar, and hit Enter. This will launch the Command Prompt.
- Type in the following command in the CMD window to boot your device to Fastboot Mode
adb reboot bootloader
- To verify the Fastboot connection, type in the below command and you should get back the device ID.
- If you are not getting any serial ID, then please install the Fastboot Drivers.
STEP 6: Install LineageOS on Pixel 7A
- First off, flash the vendor_kernel_boot via the below command:
fastboot flash vendor_kernel_boot vendor_kernel_boot.img
- Then flash the dtbo using the below-listed command:
fastboot flash dtbo dtbo.img
- After that flash the vendor_boot using the below command
fastboot flash vendor_boot vendor_boot.img
- Now boot your device to the newly installed recovery via:
fastboot reboot recovery
- From the LineageOS Recovery, go to Factory Reset.
- Then select Format Data/Factory Reset > Format Data.
- Your device will now undergo a reset.
- Once done, you shall get the “Data wipe complete” message.
- From the LineageOS Recovery, go to Apply Update > Apply from ADB.
- Then head over to the platform-tools folder, type in CMD in the address bar, and hit Enter.
- This will launch the Command Prompt. So type in the below command to flash the ROM file via Sideload:
adb sideload rom.zip
- The process will now begin and once done, you shall get the Total xfer: 1.00x message [Got an error? See FAQ below].
- If you want to install GApps, then move over to the next step otherwise select Reboot System Now to boot to the OS.
STEP 7: Flash GApps [Optional]
- Go to Advanced > Reboot to Recovery. Your device will reboot to LineageOS Recovery.
- Once done, go to Apply Update > Apply from ADB.
- Now type in the below command to flash the GApps file via Sideload:
adb sideload gapps.zip
- You will get a Signature Verification failed message because the GApps package isn’t signed by LineageOS. That’s not an issue, just hit YES to proceed ahead.
- Once done, you may now finally reboot your device to the OS via “Reboot system now”.
That’s it. These were the steps to install LineageOS on your Pixel 7A. If you have any queries concerning the aforementioned steps, do let us know in the comments. We will get back to you with a solution at the earliest.
- How to Unbrick Pixel 7A via Fastboot [2 Methods]
- How to Root Pixel 7A via Magisk Patched Init Boot
- Guide to Pass SafetyNet on Rooted Pixel 7A
- Flash Firmware on Pixel 7A/7/Pro via ADB Sideload