In this guide, we will show you the steps to install the Android 12 AOSP Custom ROM onto your Realme 6 device. The sixth iteration from the Chinese OEM beholds quite a few nifty features up its sleeves. Being a part of the budget segment hasn’t stopped the company from powering in some impressive specs over to this device. The Mediatek MT6785 chipset with 8GB RAM, a quad-camera setup at the back, and a 4300mAh battery are just some of its noteworthy ones.
Along the same lines, it has also proven to be an active player in custom development. Once you unlock the device’s bootloader, there’s a truckload of customization that you could welcome onto your device. These include the likes of flashing custom ROM, installing a custom recovery, or gaining access to the system partition by rooting it via Magisk. And as of now, the device has also been blessed with the latest OS build. With that in mind, this guide will show you the steps to install the Android 12 AOSP Custom ROM onto your Realme 6 device.
Table of Contents
What’s New in Android 12?
Just to recap, the Silicon Valley giants have introduced a plethora of new and interesting features in the twelfth iteration of the OS. These include the massive UI revamp thanks to the Material You design. Likewise, there’s a Wallpaper-based UX Theming that will pick up the major color from the wallpaper and theme it across various device components (such as the Notifications panel and Settings menu). Then there is an addition of the Privacy Dashboard as well.
This will tell you the date and time when an app asked for the location, camera, and microphone permissions. Moreover, there are some new accessibility features as well. These include the likes of Camera Switch that allows you to take full control of your device via your facial gestures. And you could now welcome all these features onto your device. Given here are the detailed instructions to install Android 12 AOSP ROM on the Realme 6.
How to Install Android 12 AOSP ROM on Realme 6
Before proceeding with the below steps, make sure to take a backup of all the data on your device. Droidwin and its members wouldn’t be held responsible in case of a thermonuclear war, your alarm doesn’t wake you up, or if anything happens to your device and data by performing the below steps.
STEP 1: Install Android SDK
First and foremost, you will have to install the Android SDK Platform Tools on your PC. This is the official ADB and Fastboot binary provided by Google and is the only recommended one. So download it and then extract it to any convenient location on your PC. Doing so will give you the platform-tools folder, which will be used throughout this guide.
STEP 2: Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking
Next up, you will also have to enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking on your device. The former will make your device recognizable by the PC in ADB mode. This will then allow you to boot your device to Fastboot Mode. On the other hand, OEM Unlocking is required to carry out the bootloader unlocking process.
So head over to Settings > About Phone > Tap on Build Number 7 times > Go back to Settings > System > Advanced > Developer Options > Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking.
STEP 3: Unlock Bootloader on Realme 6
Next up, you will also have to unlock the device’s bootloader. Do keep in mind that doing so will wipe off all the data from your device and could nullify its warranty as well. So if that’s all well and good, then please refer to our detailed guide: A Universal Guide to Unlock Bootloader on any Realme Device [In-Depth Test APK is attached in the linked guide itself].
STEP 4: Install Orange Fox Recovery Project on Realme 6
In order to flash the Android 12 AOSP Custom ROM onto your Realme 6 device, you will have to install the custom recovery. As of now, there doesn’t seem to be a working TWRP Recovery, so let’s proceed ahead and install the Orange Fox Recovery.
- To begin with, download and install the Orange Fox Recovery for the Realme 6 [Credits: XDA Member sharanpai]: Download Link.
- Now rename the recovery file to OFR, so that the complete name becomes OFR.img.
- Then transfer this file to the platform-tools folder on your PC.
- Now head over to this folder’s address bar, type in CMD, and hit Enter. It will launch the Command Prompt.
- Connect your device to PC via USB cable and execute the below command in the CMD window to boot your device to Fastboot Mode:
adb reboot bootloader
- Now use the below command to flash the Orange Fox Recovery onto your device:
fastboot flash recovery OFR.img
- That’s it. You may now reboot to the recovery via the below command:
fastboot reboot recovery
STEP 5: Download Android 12 ROM
First off, let’s make you aware of the bugs and feature set of this ROM. Go through them and then make your installation decision accordingly.
- New Settings homepage
- Monet from Proton AOSP
- Themed icons
- Mic and Camera toggles
- LTE+ icon by default
- Swipe to screenshot
- Night light flickers
- IMS (VoLTE, ViLTE, VoWiFi)
You may now grab hold of the latest Android 12 ROM from the below link [Credits: XDA Senior Member: officialputuid]
Android 12 AOSP PalladiumOS v2.0 ROM for Realme 6: Download Link
STEP 6: Boot to Orange Fox Recovery
- Connect your device to the PC via USB cable. Make sure USB Debugging is enabled.
- Then head over to the platform-tools folder, type in CMD in the address bar, and hit Enter. This will launch the Command Prompt.
- Type in the following command in the CMD window:
adb reboot recovery
- Your device will now boot to the Orange Fox Recovery.
STEP 7: Flash Android 12 ROM on Realme 6
- To begin with, head over to Install and select the Android 12 ROM ZIP file.
- Then perform a right swipe to flash that ROM.
- Once that is done, go to the Wipe and tap on the Format Data button.
- Now type in YES in the space provided and tap on the checkmark situated at the bottom right.
- That’s it. You may now reboot your device to the newly installed OS via Reboot > System.
That’s it. These were the steps to install the Android 12 AOSP Custom ROM onto your Realme 6 device. If you have any queries concerning the aforementioned steps, do let us know in the comments section. We will get back to you with a solution at the earliest.