In this guide, we will show you two different methods to disable the Easy Anti Cheat in Elden Ring. When it comes to action role-playing games, then it’s hard to recall a title that has managed to encapsulate the attention of the masses in such a short span of time. With a third-person perspective playing style, this interactive open-world beholds quite a few intriguing gameplay elements and challenges. Moreover, it supports both the single and multiplayer game modes.
However, it is the latter one that initially lead to a slew of complaints from the gamers. Many of them have voiced their concern that many hackers have invaded the game and they have completely ruined the gameplay experience. To deal with it, there was the Easy Anti Cheat put in place by the game developers. While it does tend to stop the hackers from carrying out their malicious activities, but on the flip side, creates a few issues of its own.
From performance issues to the inability of the game to launch via Valve’s Proton compatibility layer on Linux or even the bug in the Hyetta Quest wherein Vyke wouldn’t invade, all these problems seems to have their roots inside the EAC itself. So to rectify all these issues, you have no choice but to disable the Easy Anti Cheat in Elden Ring. And in this guide, we will show you how to do just that. Follow along.
How to Disable Easy Anti Cheat in Elden Ring [2 Methods]
Before you try out the below steps, we would request you not to indulge in any in-game activist that might give you an undue advantage over your competitor. Just use these instructions to rectify the underlying issues that you are currently bugged with. Moreover, once you disable EAC, you wouldn’t be able to go online, and there could be a possibility of you getting banned as well. So proceed ahead at your own risk.
Method 1: Disable EAC in Elden Ring via steam_appid Text File
- Head over to the folder where the eldenring.exe file is present.
- Then right-click in an empty location and select New > Text Document.
- Name it steam_appid, double click to open it, and type in the below value:
- Finally, hit the Ctrl+S shortcut keys to save the file.
- Now launch the game via the EXE file (and not via Steam).
- As soon as you reach the game’s main menu, you should see the following message:
Inappropriate Activity Detected. Unable to Start in Online Mode
- This indicates that you have successfully disabled the Easy Anti Cheat in Elden Ring.
Note: You will only see the above screen if the game is set to Go Online Automatically. If it is set to Start Offline, then you might not see the above message. In that case, go to the game’s settings and select Go Online Automatically. Now try to go online and you will see the aforementioned error message.
Method 2: Disable EAC in Elden Ring via start_protected_game EXE File
- To begin with, launch Steam and go to your Library.
- Then head over to steamapps > ELDEN RING > game.
- Now rename start_protected_game.exe to something else such as start_protected_game2.exe.
- Then create a copy of the elden_ring.exe file.
- Rename this new copy as start_protected_game.exe.
- Now run the game via Steam and the Easy Anti Cheat in Elden Ring stands disabled.
How to Re-Enable Easy Anti Cheat in Elden Ring
If you wish to revert the process and want to re-enable the Easy Anti Cheat in Elden Ring, then there are two different approaches that you could take. Refer to the one that you initially used to disable EAC in the first place.
Method 1: Via steam_appid Text File
Either delete the steam_appid text file or just launch the game via Steam and EAC will be re-enabled.
Method 2: Via start_protected_game EXE File
First off, rename the start_protected_game2.exe to start_protected_game.exe. Likewise, delete the copy of elden_ring.exe file (that you had renamed to start_protected_game.exe).
That’s it. These were the two different methods to disable the Easy Anti Cheat in Elden Ring. Likewise, we have also listed out the steps to re-enable it via two different approaches. If you have any queries concerning the aforementioned steps, do let us know in the comments. We will get back to you with a solution at the earliest [Method 2 screenshots credits: kosgames].
- Elden Ring Crashing, Stuttering, FPS Drops, Performance Bug [Fixed]
- Controller not working in Elden Ring on PC: How to Fix
- Lost Ark not loading due to EasyAntiCheat EAC bug: How to Fix
- Elden Ring Dodge Roll Button Input Lag: How to Fix