[UPDATE 1: For Samsung users running Android 12 One UI 4.o, please check out this guide instead: Enable 120Hz Refresh Rate in Power Saving Mode in Samsung One UI 4].
In this guide, we will show you the steps to enable the 120Hz refresh rate on your Samsung OneUI 3.0 device on the Power Saving Mode. With each new OS upgrade, there are a plethora of new and noteworthy features that one would look forward to. The same was the case with the third iteration of the OneUI update as well. However, in spite of all the goodies that the update had to offer, there was a major issue.
The OEM, for some reason, decided to remove one important functionality from the software. Up until OneUI 2.5, you had the option to keep your device on 120Hz Refresh Rate even when the Power Saving Mode was enabled. However, with 3.0, this feature was removed. As a result, when your device is in the battery saver mode, you could attain a maximum of 60Hz.
While this could have been mainly done to make the device act more aggressively when it comes to preserving the battery juice, it could have been much better if the user would have given this choice, rather than explicitly enabling it. With that said, there does exist a nifty workaround through which still enable the 120Hz refresh rate on your Samsung OneUI 3.0 device when it is on the Power Saving Mode. Here’s how.
- How to Install Android 11 (OneUI 3.0) on any Samsung Phone via Odin
- Get Adaptive Refresh rate on Galaxy S20/S20+/Ultra
- How to Downgrade Samsung from Android 11 to Android 10 (OneUI 3.0 to 2.0/2.5)
- How to Boot to Recovery Mode on Samsung OneUI 3.0 Android 11
How to Enable 120Hz Refresh Rate on Power Saving Mode on Samsung OneUI 3.0
First off, I have enabled the Refresh Rate under Developer Options. Therefore, you would be seeing the current refresh rate at the top left of your screen throughout the guide.
If you wish to enable it as well, then enable Developer Options and then turn on the Show Refresh Rate toggle (though it is completely optional). Keeping that aside, let’s get started with the guide.
- To begin with, head over to the Quick Settings toggle and disable the Power Saving Mode (if enabled).
- Then go to Settings > Display > Motion Smoothness and select Standard.
- After that, select Adaptive but do not hit the Apply button.
- Then bring up the Quick Settings panel, tap on the Power Saving Menu text (underneath the icon).
- Tap on the Details button situated at the bottom left and turn on the Power Saving Mode toggle.
- Now go to the Recents Applications screen and select the Motion Smoothness menu.
- You should now see the Adaptive Mode automatically selected, just hit Apply.
- That’s it. With the Power Saving Mode enabled, you are now on the 120Hz refresh rate!
So this was all from this guide on how you could enable the 120Hz refresh rate on your Samsung OneUI 3.0 device when it is on the Power Saving Mode. If you have any queries, do let us know in the comments section below. We will get back to you with a solution at the earliest.