In this guide, we will show you the steps to install the latest Android 14 Developer Preview onto your Xiaomi device. The fourteenth iteration of the OS has just been released by Google and it’s quite impressive to see that Xiaomi is among the earliest adopters of this OS as it already hopped onto this update bandwagon. As a result of this, you are now about to welcome a slew of intriguing features and some under-the-hood changes.
At the time of writing, the Xiaomi 13 Pro, Xiaomi 13, and Xiaomi 12T have already been blessed with this update, and plenty of others are in line to welcome abode this update sooner than later. With that said, do note that till the time the updates are in the Developer Preview or beta stage, you are bound to get bugged by issues and performance instability. So if that’s well and good, then let’s make you aware of the steps to install the latest Android 14 onto your Xiaomi device.
How to Install Android 14 on Xiaomi Devices
Xiaomi has taken a rather questionable decision with regard to the rollout of the Android 14 update. Whereas other OEMs usually roll out these updates as an OTA [once you are enrolled as beta testers], Xiaomi requires you to have your device’s bootloader unlocked as well! This tends to make the entire flashing more complicated and tedious process, especially for newcomers.
Anyway, this guide should help you install the Android 14 update onto your Xiaomi device without any issues. Just make sure to take a backup of all the data beforehand [as the process will factory reset your device]. Droidwin and its members wouldn’t be held responsible in case of a thermonuclear war, your alarm doesn’t wake you up, or if anything happens to your device and data by performing the below steps.
- First off, grab hold of the latest Android 14 update for your Xiaomi device from below
Xiaomi 13 Pro Xiaomi 13 Xiaomi 12T
- Once downloaded, extract the Fastboot ROM so that you get the Images folder.
- Then unlock the bootloader on your Xiaomi device using the Mi Unlock Tool.
- Now download and extract Mi Flash Tool to a convenient location on your PC.
- Likewise, download and extract the Android SDK Platform Tools on your PC.
- Then enable USB Debugging on your device and connect it to PC via USB cable.
- Now launch CMD inside the platform-tools folder and type in the below command:
adb reboot bootloader
- Your device will now boot to Fastboot Mode. Execute the below command to verify it:
- Make sure you’re getting serial ID, if that is not the case, then install Fastboot Drivers.
- Now launch Mi Flash Tool and click on Refresh. Make sure that your device ID is shown under the device section.
- If that’s well and good, then click on Select, browse to the extracted Fastboot ROM [the entire folder, not just the images folder], and click OK.
- At the bottom right is the flashing mode with three different options, you should select Clean All.
- Now that we have checkmarked all the prerequisites, you could hit the Flash button.
- The flashing will now start. Once done, your device will automatically boot to the newly installed OS.
That’s it. These were the steps to download and install the latest Android 14 Developer Preview onto your Xiaomi device. We will be updating this guide as soon as updates for other Xiaomi devices go live. In the meantime, if you have any queries concerning the aforementioned steps, do let us know in the comments. We will get back to you with a solution at the earliest.
How to Downgrade Xiaomi from Android 14 to Android 13
Xiaomi’s explanation on how to opt out of the Android 14 build is quite confusing, to say the least. According to them, you need to do “boot to Fastboot Mode”. And that’s just it! We believe the vague statement from the OEM is actually asking you to flash the Android 13 build onto your device via Mi Flash Tool [using the same instructions that we have listed above]. But before doing so, please check that you don’t end up triggering the Anti Rollback Index.
- How to Check Xiaomi Anti Rollback Index and Prevent Brick
- Install Additional Mods/Add Extra Features on Xiaomi EU ROM
- How to Enable eSIM in Xiaomi Chinese ROMs
- Xiaomi Android Auto Disconnecting upon Network Switch [Fix]